Frustrated with all the options

Pics

Wolfie307

In the Brooder
Jan 13, 2022
I’m currently shopping for my first flock of chicks and it’s just overwhelming. I don’t really want to buy potentially below average stock from one of the big hatcheries that offer vent sexing. I’d love to support a local breeder, but they are hard to find and usually sell straight run.

I can only have 6 hens, so straight run isn’t ideal. I’ve found some nice mid-size hatcheries, but again, most everything is straight run.

I’ve considered just ordering auto-sex or sex-link, but then I’m limited to certain breeds that may not be on my wishlist.

Another option is just to buy started pullets, but then you don’t get to raise them. So thanks for letting me vent. I’m sure I’ll end up with some wonderful hens..eventually.

Welcome!
Sounds like you know your options.
For buying started pullets, it's common in some parts for sellers to pass off spent hens as young birds, or they're "just reducing their flock" (of the sick, egg eaters, aggressive, etc).
Even if you order auto-sexed breeds, there's always a chance that the hatchery makes a mistake in picking up a chick from the wrong bin and putting it into your box. I got a barred rock pullet in my batch of sex-linked pullets (plus a cockerel of the correct breed).
There's always the chance that a bird will become sickly, so you have to be ready to cull/euthanize anyway, or have a friend who can take care of that.
I've only gotten hatchery birds, whether from the feed store or directly from the hatchery, and have had decent results, but then I don't want to show the birds.
Sometimes when you get too much info you just have to say "what's the worst that could happen" and go for it. Good luck!

How I got 6 hens:
When I started with chickens, I bought chicks a few miles from where I live .

I wanted 4 and bought four. The seller told me he was quit sure it were all pullets he sold me. I made an agreement to change roosters for pullets if I had any roosters.
But two chicks died suddenly and I went back. Bought 3 more and I ended up with 3 young roosters and 2 pullets. So I went back again and he had only younger chicks to trade. I had some trouble with the pecking order with 2 older and three younger chicks.
One died, one turned out to be a pullet and one turned out to be a rooster. I brought this rooster back too.
The next year I put fertilised eggs under a broody .
I ended up with 3 more pullets and gave the roosters away. So finally I got 6 hens. A great status quo for a few years. But after a couple of years they take longer winter breaks and lay less frequent. So I bought fertilised eggs again …

Keeping chickens is an ongoing proces. And one way ore another, (most) roosters get culled or need to go.

Oh this is my favorite topic to talk about! So I have lots of questions of course! What breed(s) are you looking for? What general area do you live? How big is your coop if you have one? 😊

I live in Minnesota, so I need cold hardy. Planning on a woods style coop 6x10 with a 60 sq ft outdoor run. I’d love friendly, quiet(ish), hardy birds. I think Orpington’s look nice, I love the coloring choices of Wyandotte’s. Green/blue egg layers would be fun too. I would like decent layers. Pet quality is fine, since I don’t think we would show. Thanks!

I live in Minnesota, so I need cold hardy. Planning on a woods style coop 6x10 with a 60 sq ft outdoor run. I’d love friendly, quiet(ish), hardy birds. I think Orpington’s look nice, I love the coloring choices of Wyandotte’s. Green/blue egg layers would be fun too. I would like decent layers. Pet quality is fine, since I don’t think we would show. Thanks!
Brahmas are a great, and cold hardy, breed. I would vote against Wyandottes, especially for your first flock, unless you are wanting jerk chickens. They are mean. EE are also pretty good with cold weather. Feather-footed, non-standard combed breeds are probably the best with the cold. Just trying to help with breeds. I don’t have much advice on your hatchery predicament.

Welcome!
Sounds like you know your options.
For buying started pullets, it's common in some parts for sellers to pass off spent hens as young birds, or they're "just reducing their flock" (of the sick, egg eaters, aggressive, etc).
Even if you order auto-sexed breeds, there's always a chance that the hatchery makes a mistake in picking up a chick from the wrong bin and putting it into your box. I got a barred rock pullet in my batch of sex-linked pullets (plus a cockerel of the correct breed).
There's always the chance that a bird will become sickly, so you have to be ready to cull/euthanize anyway, or have a friend who can take care of that.
I've only gotten hatchery birds, whether from the feed store or directly from the hatchery, and have had decent results, but then I don't want to show the birds.
Sometimes when you get too much info you just have to say "what's the worst that could happen" and go for it. Good luck!
Seriously at this point I’m like maybe we should just go to the farm supply store and pick up something cute. Ok not really. I’m way too much of a planner!

Thanks iluveggers. I had an order at Meyer ready to go, but didn’t place it. I’m also still waiting to hear from a MN breeder here on BYC. Right now I’m leaning towards Papa’s Poultry. He had a variety pack of auto sex chicks and mentions that sex link Orpington’s might be included.

What are the thoughts on the cream leg bars, 55 flowery hens, golden cuckoo marans, rhodebars, etc.

I’ve even considered hatching eggs, but that would probably guarantee culling.
I got hatching eggs from Papa's Poultry and his Isabelle Laced Lavender English Orpingtons are gorgeous. She is my quietest and best mannered bird... also a great layer. I just love her!

I absolutely agree in supporting small places. However, small doesn’t always mean the animals are kept in better conditions. And larger hatcheries doesn’t mean that they are below average either.

Just to share my experience - 6 chicks from different hatcheries all were accurately sexed, very healthy, very friendly, awesome experience. 2 roosters from small local farms, both extremely ill with different diseases from the day I got them and required so much work on my part to save (only 1 survived). Not to mention the money or time, but it was a massive emotional strain. If I could go back in time I would have tried to get a roo from a hatchery instead.

I know that’s a super limited experience and it can go either way, im sure others have had reverse experiences. My point is that it isn’t so black and white that small=good or hatchery= bad. I really wanted to support a small local place but it was a terrible decision - the only positive was I saved a chicken who otherwise would have died. If you do go to a small place, be extra vigilant and beforehand lookup positive signs vs red flags to look for of animal husbandry. This place appeared beautiful and well cared for on the surface but was awful behind the scenes.

Back
Top Bottom