Frustrated with all the options

Pics
This is my take on the hatcheries I have used in the past: In no particular order other than as I recall them.

MPC - nope bad experience never will try them again
McMurray - stock is decent and great customer service
Welp - acceptable not the best stock I have ever gotten
Meyer - decent stock and great customer service
Mt Healthy - hit or miss as far as quality
Purely Poultry - fantastic stock was a good experience
Ideal - decent stock and service
Townline - was acceptable nothing outstanding
Hoovers - decent stock and service
Estes - great service and stock

I'd love to hatch my own, but I can't have any more roosters. We don't eat chickens, so we'd have to rehome or sell, and roos are so plentiful here because of ordinances that people can't give away their extras.

I think that's true for a lot of BYCers. We just can't take the chance of getting males.
I’m in a city where roosters are banned. Fitted an anti crow collar. It doesn’t stop him crowing but limits the volume. Luckily I have pretty chill neighbours and a bit of space.

I’m currently shopping for my first flock of chicks and it’s just overwhelming. I don’t really want to buy potentially below average stock from one of the big hatcheries that offer vent sexing. I’d love to support a local breeder, but they are hard to find and usually sell straight run.

I can only have 6 hens, so straight run isn’t ideal. I’ve found some nice mid-size hatcheries, but again, most everything is straight run.

I’ve considered just ordering auto-sex or sex-link, but then I’m limited to certain breeds that may not be on my wishlist.

Another option is just to buy started pullets, but then you don’t get to raise them. So thanks for letting me vent. I’m sure I’ll end up with some wonderful hens..eventually.
I know this thread is a bit old but I'm curious... What did you end up going for?

I live in Minnesota, so I need cold hardy. Planning on a woods style coop 6x10 with a 60 sq ft outdoor run. I’d love friendly, quiet(ish), hardy birds. I think Orpington’s look nice, I love the coloring choices of Wyandotte’s. Green/blue egg layers would be fun too. I would like decent layers. Pet quality is fine, since I don’t think we would show. Thanks!
Good to know. Ty.
Often you can pay a nominal fee to have them sexed at the hatchery.

I had the same experience. Did all the research, calculating, etc. Then stopped by the local feed store (not big box, small town) and fell in live with the last 3 chicks they had. So I was off & running with Brahmas, and they are beautiful. 1 turned out to be a Rooster, so he's moved on. They were already 8 weeks, and too shy to get friendly by then. 2 years in and still skittish. They lay almost daily. Big brown eggs

Then bought 2 Golden laced Wyandottes 3 days old and the dog ate them. Had my cry, and went back for 2 more. They're now the sweetest girls, and raised by hand they're really friendly. They lay eggs every 2-4 days, brown eggs

The 5th hen I bought from another feed store, they had grown hens, 24-30 weeks that hadn't sold as chicks. She's Rhode Island Red x Leghorn -we call her Rosie. They said she was laying age and sure enough, she laid an egg in the box on the way home and hasn't stopped laying since. It took a while for her to integrate with the other 2. They beat her up pretty bad. But she's a tough little gal and now dominates the younger Wyandottes.

So there's just no predicting with Chickens.
Advice is buy them young and handle them. They will be easier to handle when you have to doctor or dust them.
View attachment 2979947View attachment 2979948
Well put Onyxflock!- what a great little flock you have there!

Back
Top Bottom