Frustrated with Buggy Feed

Heather, save both the mill date and the lot numbers on your bag of rotten feed, because Purina should need both to track it down.
Often I've seen old feed at the local feed stores, especially the smaller bags sold to new chick owners for their few chicks. NOT GOOD!
And never have I bought a bag of Flock Raiser that was infested or spoiled, from any of the local stores.
Question: is that bag of feed March 2021, or could it be March2020? I didn't pay enough attention to the label...
Mary

Heather, save both the mill date and the lot numbers on your bag of rotten feed, because Purina should need both to track it down.
Often I've seen old feed at the local feed stores, especially the smaller bags sold to new chick owners for their few chicks. NOT GOOD!
And never have I bought a bag of Flock Raiser that was infested or spoiled, from any of the local stores.
Question: is that bag of feed March 2021, or could it be March2020? I didn't pay enough attention to the label...
Mary
It was either March 25, 2021 or Doc Brown brought it back from March 1, 2025.:lau

When I lived in Flagstaff, I had a neighbor who worked at the Purina plant there. He said that after seeing how they make their feed, he would never buy their products. That makes me think twice about purchasing them. Just sayin'.
I imagine other feed manufacturers are the similar.
Just sayin'.

I've gotten moldy Flock Raiser on two occasions in the last 6 months from TSC. I returned and recieved a refund on both occasions. Our TSC doesn't store Flock Raiser. I know this because I can only purchase it on Thursday or Friday after the trucks run. By Saturday they are out again.
I bought 5 bags of pine shavings this past Wednesday so that I could clean coops. When I opened them, they were all very wet on the inside.
I don't know who is at fault but I'm getting a little aggravated at Tractor Supply. Their employees' lack of knowledge and concern for the customers are just plain sad.
We have a small feed supply store nearby but they only carry layer mash and pellets. I have considered ordering feed from Chewy but I'm afraid it would be a powder by the time it arrived.

My bantams (D'uccles and cochin) eat pellets.. but they are a smaller pellet. Not sure if you mean your bantam roo is eating a small or full size pellet. I use nutrena naturewise feather fixer.. it comes in a crumble and small pellet. And i would be irked to buy bug infested feed as well!

Today I was back at the store and mentioned what happened with the last bag of crumbles. I asked if they had more bags of crumbles that weren't from the same lot and they actually just received an order moments before I arrived. I decided to purchase another bag of crumbles and a bag of pellets. The mill date on this bag was March 15 2021 (1MAR15) so it was definitely from a separate lot. Well, I opened the bag because I NEED crumbles at this time now and it's in the same state!

If you need to buy from that same store, maybe you can open the bag and check before you drive away. I'm sure it would be awkward to transport an opened bag home, but at least you would know if it was suitable, or if you need to buy something different before going home.

And if it is bad, you can return it and get your money back, and the store can complain to whoever shipped them buggy feed.

If I listened to anyone that worked anywhere, I probably wouldn't buy anything.
Agreed I live in Jackson Tn and the amount of people I’ve heard swear off Pringle’s chips makes me question buying them. I still do. I figure ignorance is bliss.

Never had problems with chicken feed but have gotten moldy dog food a couple times. I’m sure they got wet at some point in time.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom