Frustrated!!!!!!!!!!

I am happy to announce Stella, that's her name unless she crows, has made some mild improvement through the night and is nibbling on food on her now. I am still giving additional fluids and nourishment by hand. We are by no means out of the woods but I'll take anything right now.

The one bright spot in all of this is Lola my silkie chick. She sneezed and had thick yellow nasal secretions for about 48 hours but has rebounded like a forest fire. She eats constantly, leaps over her brooder mates for treats and tries to scratch to china! Kind of makes me wonder if the SF just aren't the hardiest of breeds. Any thoughts on that?

I'm new to Faverolles, but from what I've read, some people have had problems with unthrifty chicks. That hasn't been my experience, so far.

I believe cleanliness is a key to keeping newly hatched chicks healthy. Some breeders have said they think it is a certain line of Faverolles, not the breed as a whole, that appears to be a little weak...

I'm so glad there's a ray of light!

I am happy to announce Stella, that's her name unless she crows, has made some mild improvement through the night and is nibbling on food on her now. I am still giving additional fluids and nourishment by hand. We are by no means out of the woods but I'll take anything right now.
The one bright spot in all of this is Lola my silkie chick. She sneezed and had thick yellow nasal secretions for about 48 hours but has rebounded like a forest fire. She eats constantly, leaps over her brooder mates for treats and tries to scratch to china! Kind of makes me wonder if the SF just aren't the hardiest of breeds. Any thoughts on that?
No, it's because you're such a good chicken mommy! I'm so glad to hear you're winning.
thumbsup.gif

Hey guys sorry I've been MIA. Thanks again for all the advice, encouragement and well wishes. A friend who keeps her horses in my barn just rescued a 6 week old filly with a broken leg so if I am not busy being a good fidma, I am taking a turn as equi-mom. lol (so far the filly is surprising us with her resilience)

As to my little chick flock, Stella continues to improve but is still a bit puny. She has lost an enormous amount of weight. She was the largest, most feathered of the brood but everyone except Delilah (who was tiny) has surpassed her in growth over the week. She is however, eating and drinking on her own an there is an improvement in the amount of energy she has. I want to feel good about her progress but the chick I lost was completely asymptomatic before he died.

I have a theory that much of Stella's lethargy was a result of dehydration. I have seen that frequently in birds. They get ill, they become febrile and feel bad and just lay where they are warmest and end up malnourished and severely dehydrated. So two days of forcing fluids on her really payed off.

Sneezy is still sneezing... She still has some dried exudate in her nares but it is not gooey and sticky anymore.

Zaxby and Delilah have never appeared super ill just occasional sneezing and they are still holding their own.

Lola (the Silkie) is sneezing more often that she was but she is still kicking butt and taking names. I gave them a treat of a few meal worms today and am pretty sure Lola got them all LOL!

They are all laying on the far coolest end of the brooder now. The temp is running about 90 degrees on the hot end and I am wondering if they are too warm?

Thanks again for everything and I will post as time allows.

I'm not sure if I read everything as close as I should have.. Did you mention if the nasal discharge smelled or not?

Oops, missed this one, I should have thought to check for odor but failed in that regard so I am not sure if it had an odor. Now it is dry and crusty and I can barely breathe much less smell. :/ I forgot to mention that Stella had a weird peep for a few days. It was quiet but very coarse sounding, almost like she was hoarse but that has improved.

Back
Top Bottom