Full Integration vs. 2 Flocks Co-Existing Together

DuckDuckSook

Songster
Jan 20, 2020
Southeastern PA
My Coop
My Coop
Hello Friends!

So I just posted a rather long post about how my integration process is going with four 7 week old chicks and three 4.5 month old hens. So far, so good, I guess. As noted in that post, the chicks stay to one side of the run and the hens stay to other. The hens will chase the chicks back to their side if they venture too far into their perceived "territory." My question is this: what are the chances of them fully integrating vs. co-existing as two mini flocks? I have a feeling that they might just be two groups that tolerate each other and live amongst each other, but never fully integrate. Is that a thing? Each sub flock seems to have its own pecking order with a leader. Will that be the way it goes or will they all duke it out and each find their own space in one larger group? As long as everyone is getting along and no one is getting bullied or hurt, I don't mind. Just thought I'd see what others may have experienced. I suppose only time will tell...

When I integrated my own young birds into the pre-established adult flock id gotten, it was a similar situation. They would avoid eachother. It was even to the point where my younger ones only ate when the older birds were roosting or sleeping. I dont remeber when though, but they did integrate. Maybe around when my younger girls were about to start laying. Now they’re just a single flock.

Hello Friends!

So I just posted a rather long post about how my integration process is going with four 7 week old chicks and three 4.5 month old hens. So far, so good, I guess. As noted in that post, the chicks stay to one side of the run and the hens stay to other. The hens will chase the chicks back to their side if they venture too far into their perceived "territory." My question is this: what are the chances of them fully integrating vs. co-existing as two mini flocks? I have a feeling that they might just be two groups that tolerate each other and live amongst each other, but never fully integrate. Is that a thing? Each sub flock seems to have its own pecking order with a leader. Will that be the way it goes or will they all duke it out and each find their own space in one larger group? As long as everyone is getting along and no one is getting bullied or hurt, I don't mind. Just thought I'd see what others may have experienced. I suppose only time will tell...
Chickens are cliqueish, in my experience. "Generations" of chickens will often separate themselves from others. Sometimes flocks might also divide into cliques based on color or breed, even. But they will be more integrated than what you describe, in all likelihood.

I have several "generations" ranging from 7 weeks to 4 years, and they all became one big flock after a bit of chicken politics. But most still seem to prefer to stay close to those with whom they bonded early on. It's not unlike a typical school playground....

I wish I had a definite answer for you but I don't.
But I do have a definite truth for you, they'll work it out.
But you're going to have to wait until everyone is laying to even begin to guess what's going on with the social order.:)
Thanks! That's what I figured. I'm just happy that no one is being super mean. A few years ago, when I added ducks to my existing chicken flock, I had one really mean ISA brown that I ended up having to re-home due to serious attack behaviors. It's nice this time around to not see that sort of thing happening. :)

Chickens are cliqueish, in my experience. "Generations" of chickens will often separate themselves from others. Sometimes flocks might also divide into cliques based on color or breed, even. But they will be more integrated than what you describe, in all likelihood.

I have several "generations" ranging from 7 weeks to 4 years, and they all became one big flock after a bit of chicken politics. But most still seem to prefer to stay close to those with whom they bonded early on. It's not unlike a typical school playground....
I love the playground comparison! That is exactly what it looks like right now. I didn't think about the bonding too. Good point! Thanks!:thumbsup

They won't really be one flock until the younger birds reach point of lay (it's a hormonal thing, just like teens don't want to hang out with adults and vice versa). Even after that, each subflock will likely prefer the company of their group mates, but the division should be less noticeable and the birds will mingle more freely.

My goal in integration is that no one gets hurt. Nothing more. You seem to have achieved that. Far as I'm concerned, you are golden.

Until mine mature enough they tend to remain two separate flocks. If the younger invades the personal space of the adults they might get pecked or chased so it doesn't take long for them to learn to stay away. My juveniles usually don't even roost on the main roosts with the adults. They are at the bottom of the pecking order.

But when they mature enough, they join the pecking order. They start roosting on the main roosts with the others. They can eat at the same feeder at the same time as the adults. They become full fledged flock members. With mine that is usually around the time they start to lay. They might hang with the others at times but often they like to hang with their buddies they grew up with. I've had hens that grew up together split into cliques, hanging with the main flock sometimes but sometimes a group hanging by themselves. Chicken society can be pretty complex with the interactions. They have individual personalities that have to mesh. As mentioned above, they work it out.

I have often seen sub flocks - very obvious lines, definite groups. They as stated above tend to dissolve when the pullets begin to lay.

Last year I was in a do over. Started with 4 old hens. Hatched 3, one pullet and one cockerel, and later on Bye, my now flock master.

This spring I added leghorn straight run chicks, and a month and a half later, hatched out chicks. Last week, their mamma forgot her chicks, started laying and roosting with the older hens.

So I have the old girls and last years pullet on one side - spread out, taking more than their fair share of real estate. And the leghorn group, huddled on the far end, close together. The chicks were on the floor.

Now the funny thing is, last night, when I locked up. I saw the chicks on the roost, under neath the leg horns...which surprised me. Snugged in there tight.

You never really can say how chickens are going to act.

Mrs K

Back
Top Bottom