Full size Delaware roo and dwarf hens

Aug 2, 2017
Maryland
So long story short a friend asked us if we wanted 5 speckled hens. I said sure because my Delaware roo only has 2 hens and they need a break. I have 8 pullets about 5 weeks old. So gentle roo and mixed flock on 3 acres.

He brings me 5 dwarf olandsk hens and a dwarf roo. . So I say we can give them a few days and see. Enough space to spread out. Well behaved roo. Got in 1 squabble with the big Delaware roo and they are ok. BUT yesterday the big room decides to mount 1 of the little hens. I fear this could kill the little girl as he is 4 times his size. He got my foot and got off of the tiny hen. But I'm not watching them all day.

Any experience with mixed sizes? Should I just keep the dwarfs in a coop and run until the other pullets are big enough to draw his attention away? I'm not breeding or hatching so no issues there. Just not sure if I should rehome or just separate for a bit.

I would wait till the other pullets are full size,just because he only has two hens who are his size and don’t want him overbreeding the bantams too much, however he should be fine with the banana s as long as he is isn’t breeding them a million times a day.

Strangly in the yard the Delaware Roo has been showing the new hens and rooster all his fav spots. Also put the babies out and none of the chickens seem to care about the 5wk olds. Have them all separate runs/coops but they all are Co-mingling in the yard even though there is 3 acres and plenty of hiding spots.

IMG_20190430_115108.jpg
IMG_20190430_114742.jpg
photos of all the usual suspects

Yeah. I am not sure if I am keeping them yet. If they are not eating ticks and bugs and not food, I don't have a good use for ornamental chickens. But they are supposed to be great foragers. I just feel bad keeping them locked up all day with alot of room to run. But man are they LOUD and won't shut up all day. Chicken life. Just want to give them a great home until the new chicks are afe months old, then let them run the yard during the day.

Guess I will keep them in chicken jail. Realistically a 6'*12' run and a 6x6 coop is prob a dwarf chicken Taj Mahal. But you know how the guilt goes.

Back
Top Bottom