Full Term Chicks That Fail to Pip

That is not shrink wrapping, that is sticky chick, shrink wrap is when the incubation is very dry low humidity and the egg loses too much moisture causing the membranes to shrink wrap and kill the chick, what you are describing is sticky or stuck chick, where the hatch humidity is low causing the shell membranes to dry and toughen or stick to the chick as it dries making it difficult for the chick to hatch on its own. At this point they won't shrink wrap and die slowly buy they can die if they can't get out of the egg, this is when you need to recognize the situation and be able to help the chick out of the shell.

That's fine its just a lot of people confuse the 2 situations or their terminology then it confuses new people even further when they are trying to research the situation.

We have been feeling it move for two days now and sometimes it rests for awhile I have a stethescope and he's still active how long does it take them once they start moving And pecking.
you could possibly have a couple days to go yet, it sounds like your go doing hasn't even pipped the shell yet, once they finally do pip they can still take a day to full hatch. FF's advice is right the egg should have some moisture, some sort of incubator setup would be better than keeping it in your bra, a box with a light bulb for warmth and some water containers for moisture or wet towels to set the egg on and mist the shell from time to time with warm water. If you start your own thread on the subject you should get more advice

my guess is they were incubated at a higher humidity during the first 18 days which caused the air cell to not shrink enough and the chicks to grow too large which caused them to be too
Large to maneuver around and get positioned to pip. If they were developed to the point they needed to pip and breath air they most certainly would suffocate if they cannot pip.

I had them at around 45% humidity days 1-18. However, it fluctuated a lot. I couldn't get it right on most of the time, so it would go higher, and then as the well in the incubator dried up it would go lower. However, it averaged around 45%. I wasn't real sure what to do with these eggs. When candling, one of the ones that didn't hatch had a very small air cell. (It was the biggest egg too, the chick was HUGE.) However, there were a couple of other eggs where the air cell was gigantic. It was approaching half of the egg. Those chicks did hatch. I wasn't sure whether to lower or increase the humidity because of that. I am trying to keep the current eggs around 40%. Thank you for your help.

Back
Top Bottom