Fully Feathered?

The Welch Chickens

Crowing
Premium Feather Member
Mar 18, 2023
Rhode Island
Are these chicks considered fully feathered? Most are five weeks old, but a few are four weeks. Do you think they are ready to move into the coop full time? The nighttime temps are in the 50s, sometimes dropping to the 40s.

8E422E6C-3480-41AA-B571-655D0D7B6B5E.jpeg

5827FC5B-32B7-4045-B6C6-4CA96387476A.jpeg

1327B4D3-EFA0-4223-B0F3-FD220ADD071D.jpeg

There are two who still have a lot of fluff on their heads:

EC8256CE-41B8-450B-BE8E-F15995576FE8.jpeg

Thanks in advance! :frow

Attachments

• 066CBF27-53BF-4E1F-9BB8-B53D5F4EA56F.jpeg
    066CBF27-53BF-4E1F-9BB8-B53D5F4EA56F.jpeg
    503.8 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
At those ages and with those temperatures i would not worry about acclimating. If you were getting below freezing and with the four week olds I would have some concerns.

Acclimating is not just time outside, it is exposure to cooler temperatures. I don't know what are the coldest temperatures yours have seen either outside or in that garage. They do not need to see freezing temperatures to acclimate to freezing temperatures, just cool temperatures. That helps them feather out faster. I'm being vague because this is very vague. Even without acclimating they can handle temperatures much colder than many people think they can.

At those ages and with those temperatures i would not worry about acclimating. If you were getting below freezing and with the four week olds I would have some concerns.

Acclimating is not just time outside, it is exposure to cooler temperatures. I don't know what are the coldest temperatures yours have seen either outside or in that garage. They do not need to see freezing temperatures to acclimate to freezing temperatures, just cool temperatures. That helps them feather out faster. I'm being vague because this is very vague. Even without acclimating they can handle temperatures much colder than many people think they can.
Ok, that makes sense. Thank you so much! :frow

"Proper acclimatization" meaning they have had time outdoors? They are currently outside all day and in the garage at night.
Ridgerunner explained it very well! In many cases exposing them to outside temperatures for gradually longer periods of time is a good way to acclimate them to temperature, as well as familiarizing them with weather conditions, their set up, etc.

Your birds have a good amount of feathering already so unless you're dealing with dramatically different temperate ranges from inside and out they shouldn't have too much trouble making the move.

Back
Top Bottom