Fun dream project: How would you do an "incubation room/hatching room" ?

I'm confused, why would you have a room with no incubators?

Not sure what you mean by 'natural'.
Using an incubator is not 'natural'.
Controlling the temp and humidity in the incubator room helps the incubator thermostat run better and I've found this to be true.
IIRC most incubators say room should be at least 68°F and free of any drafts or direct sun near the incubator.

My intention, if it were ever possible and I ever had the resources for such a thing, is that the room would be the incubator. :p As in, the entire room somehow at a consistent 99.5, evenly throughout.

Well it’s definitely doable but wouldn’t be very energy efficient. I prefer to make my own incubators over even buying cabinet ones. If your wanting just more room for more eggs and more stable conditions I recommend using old refrigerators. It’s well insulated and this day and time I have mine setup with alarms that send notifications straight to my phone anywhere I am if the temp/humidity drops or rises from my settings. Also have digital temp controller as well as humidity controller linked to a small mister maker/fogger to control humidity and lastly egg turner motor turning every 2 hours.

Attachments

• 6503FCDC-FF08-4A04-A964-13A231553878.jpeg
    6503FCDC-FF08-4A04-A964-13A231553878.jpeg
    381.4 KB · Views: 6
  • 965A2E6E-889D-4238-AC67-2B85E15C3FCD.jpeg
    965A2E6E-889D-4238-AC67-2B85E15C3FCD.jpeg
    360.6 KB · Views: 5
  • D498CFE3-F361-4BA6-867C-545B9C31960A.jpeg
    D498CFE3-F361-4BA6-867C-545B9C31960A.jpeg
    364.4 KB · Views: 5
Well it’s definitely doable but wouldn’t be very energy efficient. I prefer to make my own incubators over even buying cabinet ones. If your wanting just more room for more eggs and more stable conditions I recommend using old refrigerators. It’s well insulated and this day and time I have mine setup with alarms that send notifications straight to my phone anywhere I am if the temp/humidity drops or rises from my settings. Also have digital temp controller as well as humidity controller linked to a small mister maker/fogger to control humidity and lastly egg turner motor turning every 2 hours.
I for impressive

Ohhh it's not about efficiency or space--it really is just a fun, extravagant dream. :p I actually do have a retrofitted mini so I know how well they work. I love your setup though! Especially with the phone notifications.

Well..... you're gonna have to worry about moisture getting into your house walls or ceiling. So maybe start with a fully tiled room with water barrier like a bathroom would if you were making a tiled shower.

After that, to hold in humidity and heat, I'd use the purple board insulation on the inside of the walls and floor, and maybe even the ceiling.... actually a room like a bathroom with a fan to the outside would work really well for fresh air too.

having a door that would really seal would be nice, to keep it separate from the rest of the house, but probably not necessary. A big fan inside to keep the air moving.

Heating would be the thing I wouldn't have a clue where to start. A lot of space heaters say not to use with livestock. Some of them have a Teflon coating and the off gassing of that can kill chickens.

Well..... you're gonna have to worry about moisture getting into your house walls or ceiling. So maybe start with a fully tiled room with water barrier like a bathroom would if you were making a tiled shower.

After that, to hold in humidity and heat, I'd use the purple board insulation on the inside of the walls and floor, and maybe even the ceiling.... actually a room like a bathroom with a fan to the outside would work really well for fresh air too.

having a door that would really seal would be nice, to keep it separate from the rest of the house, but probably not necessary. A big fan inside to keep the air moving.

Heating would be the thing I wouldn't have a clue where to start. A lot of space heaters say not to use with livestock. Some of them have a Teflon coating and the off gassing of that can kill chickens.

It's a far future "when I've settled down" kind of idea, so there's no immediate concerns like that--but I was thinking a semi-detached sort of thing, almost like a greenhouse for plants. :)

Purple board is a great idea, and the bathroom fans! I didn't even think about that--they'd probably be easy to find too!

The sealed doors and large fans are also pretty common with greenhouses and nurseries from what I've seen! The biggest challenge really would be the heating, which I also have no idea where to start on. :p

Isn’t the incubators at big hatcheries pretty much the size of a small room? And there are certainly walk in coolers and freezers, so why not the opposite?

You could have a table and chair and some tropical plants in there, and a little fountain or water feature to help keep up humidity :D And maybe decorative bowl “nests” you could tilt fir the eggs!

Back
Top Bottom