Fun with finding the "pointy end" of an egg

VlkStinu

Songster
Aug 6, 2020
Czech Republic
Hey everyone! Just wanted to share a bit of fun with the egg that I collected today - I had a hard time figuring out which part is the pointy part because it all seemed so even. I usually lay the egg on the palm of my hand and look at it from a bit distance and even if the egg is somewhat even, some inner instinct can always determine which is the right direction of the egg and therefore what is up and what is the bottom. But with this egg, it just wasn't working. :D In the end, the more I looked at it, the more I started to incline towards one part being the bottom. So I've placed it that way in the egg carton for storage for later incubation. But just for fun, I've put the photo of the egg in Photoshop and made an overlay copy of the part that I thought was the bottom (upper part of the egg on the picture) and then placed it over what I thought was the more pointy part. As you can see, I was right - it's just fragments of millimeters, but the difference is clearly there, if only very tiny. :D I know I could help myself by candling the egg and see where the air bubble is and I tried, but could never really find it, especially with a slightly darker egg like this one.

Just a bonus question to add to this story - do you put the eggs in the incubator the same way? That is pointy end down?

1648899243035.png

You can also float test the egg, and the end with the airsack will be closer to the surface.
Yes,,, airsack on top,, but many or most incubators lay eggs on side, and the turner turns the eggs rolling them.

WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, :highfive:

Thank you! I am trying to avoid touch (I am using gloves) and I wouldn't like to get the eggs in the water as I fear it might compromise their protective bloom layer on the shell.

I've got another "challenging" egg shape today. :D The pointier part is very obvious here, the upper part is rounder and flatter, whereas the bottom part is pointier. But for some reason, I feel like the orientation is the way it is now, meaning the true bottom part would be the pointier one and the true upper part the rounder one (maybe due to some slight anomaly?). Or is it just me? :) I've put it to storage on the visually pointier side down, but I am a bit hesitant in this case. :D I guess I am looking too much into it, but it's quite a fun challenge. :D
IMG_4315.JPG

Back
Top Bottom