Urgent: 24 hr external pip on pointy end, no zipping

As long as the chick can breathe, you can leave it a bit longer, so the veins in the membrane shrink on down, and there is no bleeding. Let the chick rest some, since it's probably been working hard to get out of the shrink wrap, but can't.

It's not totally uncommon for chicks to be malpositioned, but most tend to survive, even if they need help.

Many incubators are not completely uniform in temperature everywhere inside. There will be spots that may be slightly cooler, or slightly warmer. While it's important to turn the eggs, it's also important to shift their position around inside the incubator too. This helps counter balance the slight variations in temp. When I first started incubating, I discovered the eggs in a slight cool spot, took a bit longer, while the ones in the hotter spots would pop out a bit on the early side.
Thanks, I think the rest helped it push itself out in the end. The eggs are actually under a hen but I guess the whole wrong end of the egg malposition thing can happen to hens hatching chicks too? 😄

Thanks everyone! I zipped 2/3 of the egg, then left it as I encountered a little bit of blood. I put it back under the hen. I left it for 2 hours to see if it could manage itself when it was ready. The chick has just hatched! A sweet little yellow 🐤.

I'm so relieved. Looks healthy though tired as expected. I think the membrane was a little dry around the pip hole as it pipped externally and never internally and needed more time to start zipping. I'm not sure it would have been able to help itself as the membrane was very tough (dry) around the pip. Happy I could lend a hand :)

Thanks so much for your help and guidance. It's huge in a situation like this! 💛
I'll post a photo once it's had a rest!

Amazing!! So happy to hear.

Day two - all 4 chicks doing well. The stuck chick doing great after a long rest in the night. That's her/him on the left :)

Thanks again for your help 💛

Attachments

• 20231101_141143.jpg
    20231101_141143.jpg
    459.4 KB · Views: 12
  • 20231101_141145.jpg
    20231101_141145.jpg
    532.7 KB · Views: 12

Back
Top Bottom