Urgent: 24 hr external pip on pointy end, no zipping

I ended up making a makeshift incubator in my kitchen and helping the chick to hatch over several hours. The chick was over a day behind the others and I’m not convinced it would have hatched alone. It was born with wonky feet which I then had to correct.

Use tweezers to remove the shell around the air sac and then use a q-tip and coconut oil to moisten the membrane. You should be able to get a clearer idea of the veins.

You can use paper towel to blot any bleeding.

Is your broody still sitting? I’ve read that sometimes if you just remove the shell around the air sac it’s enough to help them get out on their own.

Membrane is super dry and tough. Chicken cheeping. No blood.

Attachments

• 20231031_112435.jpg
    20231031_112435.jpg
    295.4 KB · Views: 24
Moisten the membrane as much as you can with liquid coconut oil. Remove the shell bit by bit with tweezers or with your fingers if you can do it gently enough. Moisten the membrane as you go.

It’s better to sort of roll back the membrane rather than rip it if you can. If it’s totally shrink wrapped that might be hard.

If the chick is cheeping and making butting motions with its head, that’s a good sign to progress.

Try to keep the bottom half of the shell as intact as possible just in case it hasn’t absorbed the yolk fully yet. If it hasn’t, it needs to sit in its shell for a little while longer.

Moisten the membrane as much as you can with liquid coconut oil. Remove the shell bit by bit with tweezers or with your fingers if you can do it gently enough. Moisten the membrane as you go.

It’s better to sort of roll back the membrane rather than rip it if you can. If it’s totally shrink wrapped that might be hard.

If the chick is cheeping and making butting motions with its head, that’s a good sign to progress.

Try to keep the bottom half of the shell as intact as possible just in case it hasn’t absorbed the yolk fully yet. If it hasn’t, it needs to sit in its shell for a little while longer.
Okay. It's not all dry (membrane) getting a little more moisture now. Am keeping bottom shell intact.

Back
Top Bottom