fun with Sylvie

with what are you bedding?

omagoursh! I helped out my birds, and fixed it, still get :old.
The bedding question was viable, IMO. I was looking to see what bedding too.
I use sand/PDZ in brooder, wet poops can definitely create 'concrete shoes'.
I also soak and carefully remove the chunks.
So what bedding are you using @gimmie birdies?

Not sure how y'all went from crusty toes to crusty butts so fast<scratcheshead>

Tried to help people prevent crusty toes. Have fun with Sylvie.

Side note chick is fine this morning.

My questions were intended to help you identify the cause of the problem that your birds were having. I understand that you had fixed the problem but preventing the problem is even more desirable. The question regarding bedding was because a lot of people try to bed with things like paper towels puppy pads or even worse newspaper all of which are very prone to creating a situation where feces would accumulate around the feet of the chicks even if change daily if going to the other questions you have a large number of birds for the amount of space being provided so that the total amount of feces accumulating is more than the space can accommodate especially with a solid tight bedding such as listed above verses a bedding like pine shavings or other items that allowed the feces to go down into the bedding and away from the feet.
I am sorry you took offense to me asking questions in an attempt to help you avoid having future issues with fecal balls on your chicks toes

Last edited:
I was not offended by YOU, Old grey mare. I could tell YOU were being helpful. Space is an issue, but I am holding chicks for a friend, who will get hers in a couple of weeks, I am keeping just a few. I thought I was being helpful by telling people about the vaseline, and some other person turned the whole thing in to some "hee hee-haw-haw".

AArt I will be:D fine thanks, though.

Last edited:
and some other person turned the whole thing in to some "hee hee-haw-haw".
You started the 'crusty butt' stuff. :lol:
I don't always get a chick with a crusty butt, but if I do I have to deal with it. "STUFF happens."
Instead of answering OGM reasonable question about the bedding.
No matter how far off topic a thread gets, one can always bring it back on track.

Back
Top Bottom