Fungal infections in the comb?

Desert_Fox

Chirping
Apr 6, 2021
Portugal
Hi guys. I have two wierd situations going on.
1- This Cream Legbar Rooster is about one year old, his comb was always like that, a few weeks ago, in the center of the comb a small yellow crust, appeared, didint payed mutch attention to it, thought it was just some minor injurie. But today ive realized it getting bigger, and his head is swollen directly above the eye, and the eye looked kind of wet. He's drinking, eating, and behaving fine. I assumed its some kind of fungus, and I've applied some Miconazole ointment to it.

2- A Rhode Island Red hen, about one year old also, (living in a diferent coop, with other hens and a rooster), behaving normally, noticed she had the tips of her comb black a few days ago, today ive realized the tips are gone. She has the comb, but the tips had just fallen off or something, and theres little white spots where they used to be.
Any ideas? am i dealing with fungal infections and Miconazole will do it, or do you think its something else?

Thanks a lot in advance.

Attachments

• 20220501_202819.jpg
    20220501_202819.jpg
    591.8 KB · Views: 79
That's quite a divot in his comb. Not sure what's causing it, sorry.

i live in Portugal, its warm around here, so i think we can exclude frostbite.
That was going to be my first question.

Here's how to add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
1653345140746.png

It would be nice to see some photos of his comb from different angles.
I don't see one of the RIR hen either.

Your rooster has some pecking or some type of wounds on the tips of his comb as well. Likely those will fall off too or become more rounded. Sounds like that may be what's going on with the RIR hen (?)

From what I can see of the wound on your rooster's comb, it's probably originated from a minor peck and his hen has been picking at it. Roosters are like that, they will allow a hen to pick at their combs and face - don't know why, maybe it's attention.
Without seeing it more clearly, I'd treat it as an infected wound. Clean with Chlorhexidine, then apply triple antibiotic ointment. If the scab looks like it has pus under it, then it may need to be removed, but you'll have to be the judge of that since we can't see it.

Do these birds get any sunlight? How are they housed?

1653362504502.jpeg

Thanks alot for the advice, later ill take more pics of them.
They go out everyday, and i lock them for the evening, during the day they have a playground outside of for each breed. Those wounds on the tips, are probably from another roosters through the fence. The one in the middle is the one i dont know what it is.

Here they are.
Update: The Miconazole ointment in the rooster seems to be working, the wound looks smaller and dryer.

Attachments

• 20220524_201707.jpg
    20220524_201707.jpg
    495.6 KB · Views: 35
  • 20220524_210215.jpg
    20220524_210215.jpg
    605.2 KB · Views: 53

Back
Top Bottom