Fungal? White Spots on Rooster Comb

BarryTheBold

Songster
Jul 1, 2019
Molalla, OR
Greetings!

I do not know what this is?
It looks fungal, they are hard and not squishy.
They come off, but not easily. There is more in the crevices and middle of the comb. He does not seem to be bothered by it. He has had this for a while, no other chickens show anything like this.
I have treated him with Banixx spray and coconut oil infused with oregano oil, very antifungal.

Can anyone clue me in as to what this is? Thanks!!

Attachments

• 27072067-DDA8-4DC6-ACE1-510AFF219841.jpeg
    27072067-DDA8-4DC6-ACE1-510AFF219841.jpeg
    373.9 KB · Views: 91
  • D9327404-7A1F-42CA-85F5-91174A58F9CE.jpeg
    D9327404-7A1F-42CA-85F5-91174A58F9CE.jpeg
    413 KB · Views: 24
  • 131130C9-6362-4BFF-9581-173CF6513FF6.jpeg
    131130C9-6362-4BFF-9581-173CF6513FF6.jpeg
    378.2 KB · Views: 24
Some information on Favus, I am not saying that's what it is I personally have no idea.

FAVUS (RINGWORM)
Other Names: Avian Dermatophytosis, Avian Ringworm

Favus or avian ringworm is a fungal skin infection caused by a group of zoophilic fungi called dermatophytes. Microsporum gallinae (also known as Lophophyton gallinae) is the most common species isolated from cases of favus in chickens.

Affected chickens may initially develop white, powdery spots and wrinkled crusts with scabs along their comb and wattles. As the infection progresses, the fungus will start to spread to other areas of the head, causing the skin to thicken and appear crusty and scaly. In long-standing or severe cases it may result in permanent damage to the beak and eyelids.

Transmission
Dermatophytes are transmitted to chickens through direct or indirect contact with skin of other infected birds, animals, insects, people, soil, or fomites (equipment, objects, clothes, etc.).

Treatment
Ringworm is usually successfully treated using basic over-the-counter topical fungicidal medications. The medication may be in the form of a powder, ointment, or cream. It’s applied directly to the affected areas of the bird.

Some information on Favus, I am not saying that's what it is I personally have no idea.

FAVUS (RINGWORM)

Favus or avian ringworm is a fungal skin infection caused by a group of zoophilic fungi called dermatophytes. Microsporum gallinae (also known as Lophophyton gallinae) is the most common species isolated from cases of favus in chickens.

Affected chickens may initially develop white, powdery spots and wrinkled crusts with scabs along their comb and wattles. As the infection progresses, the fungus will start to spread to other areas of the head, causing the skin to thicken and appear crusty and scaly. In long-standing or severe cases it may result in permanent damage to the beak and eyelids.

Transmission
Dermatophytes are transmitted to chickens through direct or indirect contact with skin of other infected birds, animals, insects, people, soil, or fomites (equipment, objects, clothes, etc.).

Treatment
Ringworm is usually successfully treated using basic over-the-counter topical fungicidal medications. The medication may be in the form of a powder, ointment, or cream. It’s applied directly to the affected areas of the bird.
Appreciate this!
I suspect this is an accurate assessment. Will get some OTC antifungal cream and scrub them off as suggested. Many thanks!

Greetings!

I do not know what this is?
It looks fungal, they are hard and not squishy.
They come off, but not easily. There is more in the crevices and middle of the comb. He does not seem to be bothered by it. He has had this for a while, no other chickens show anything like this.
I have treated him with Banixx spray and coconut oil infused with oregano oil, very antifungal.

Can anyone clue me in as to what this is? Thanks!!
The oils may actually exacerbate the problem.

What you are seeing is likely keratin, dirt and/or oil buildup in the nooks/crannies of the comb.
It's similar to having clogged pores.

Most people wipe, gently dig and/or pop out the little balls/accumulated material as needed.

Here's so what Favus looks like, note that it's a powdery looking infection.

1664823001032.png

FAVUS (RINGWORM)

Transmission

Treatment
It's a good idea to provide a source link (whenever possible) to material that is being copied and pasted from another site.
http://www.poultrydvm.com/condition/ringworm

The oils may actually exacerbate the problem.

What you are seeing is likely keratin, dirt and/or oil buildup in the nooks/crannies of the comb.
It's similar to having clogged pores.

Most people wipe, gently dig and/or pop out the little balls/accumulated material as needed.

Here's so what Favus looks like, note that it's a powdery looking infection.

View attachment 3279533
It does seem more like keratin, but the growth/ formation is very fungal-like in nature... so was confused. There is another thread in this forum that has similar looking bumps and they were thinking it was favus. Keratin makes more sense in the feel of this, which I cannt share. Thank you very much @wyrop rock!!
I will see how he does with the oils today and when I clean him up later, will scrape off and leave the oils off-- stick with the Banixx spray and reassess.

My old rooster had a milder case of that, but only about 6 of those little white dots on his pea comb. I thought that it was favus, but it sometimes can be cleaned off with using some soap and QTips. I tried clotrimazole cream on it. I noticed it would come and go, but never got very bad. It would disappear without any treatment sometimes. I would probably follow Wyorp Rock’s advice. Then if that doesn’t help use miconazole or clotrimazole on it daily for a few weeks.

Back
Top Bottom