Fungus-Like stuff around vent NEW PICTURES (GROSS)

tia

Crowing
14 Years
Apr 19, 2009
Valdez, Alaska
I posted this under ducks, because it is my duck, but I wondered if anyone had this problem with a chicken. My duck has fungus like stuff around the vent opening. When I posted on the duck site someone said to put honey on it... I tried that, but don't know if it will help. I've tried soaking her thinking it would come off, but looking closer it looks like a fungus type stuff. Any experience with this???

Last edited:
Maybe it is -- I have no idea. You could try a tube of antifungal foot cream; people use it when chickens get favus on combs, and favus is a fungus. Or you could try an antimycotic cream (Vagisil and all that) in case it's yeast rather than fungus. Actually, plain live culture yogurt smeared right on her will help deal with yeast. Because it's by the vent, though, I'd sure do a check for lice and mites at night, if you haven't already. There are lots of threads here about how to treat if they are present.

Good luck,

I will get a picture tomorrow. I left my camera at work. I went out and checked for mites and lice and didn't see anything. I've never seen them before, but I looked behind her neck under her wing and around the vent and saw nothing moving. After I bathed her, I held her in my lap for about a half an hour. Now I feel like they are moving all over me of course : ) I think their pen is pretty clean. I take all of the bedding out once a week and throw it away, mop their entire pen out with hot soapy water and put new pine shavings in. I might make an appointment to take her to the vet. She is my problem child. Thanks for your help... I will post some pictures tomorrow.

Well the warm soaks and honey on her vent have made things look a lot better. It still looks pretty gross. I hope this doesn't have anything to do with bugs - I don't do bugs very well. Please let me know what you think. Thanks!!!

28584_angels_vent_problems_003.jpg

28584_angels_vent_problems_003.jpg

Took Angel to Vet and she did lab work. Her protein level was low. She suggested antibiotics and silvadene for her vent. She said I should also worm her just in case. She suggested Flubenvet. The only place I could find it was UK. I ordered it. Does anyone know anything about it, or if you can buy it in the United States. She is doing okay. Still not eating real well.

I am battlling vent gleet right now. It is oozy, gooey and sickly sweet smelling. I got her to eat some yogurt and her vent is dry now but still red and irritated. I am also putting monistat cream on/in her vent. I think the smell is indicative of gleet.
sharon

Back
Top Bottom