Funky Bubbly Eyes.. HELP! (GROSS PICS!) NEW UPDATES!

Hello! I just came across this post and noticed your pics and wanted to give my experience. I had a rooster that had pneumonia a few week back and contacted Doc Peter Brown about it, including their bubbly eyes, which look just like yours. He stated that along with mine's pneumonia that they had a secondary sinus infection. He said that I could use the Tylan 50 for them. The dose I was given was 1/2 cc 1x a day for 5 to 7 days. I gave the injection in the back of the neck as I was afraid of hitting something vital on accident on the breast. They never flinched when I gave it on the back of their neck! I gave it to them and by the 3rd day they were a lot better, their eyes completely cleared up, the horrible swelling went down, and their pneumonia was over by the 5th day. I must say that the Tylan 50 is something I will keep on hand from now on. I hope your chickens are feeling much better soon!!!

Thanks! They actually do look a lot better already and it's only day 3 of the Tylan and eye ointment!
lol.png
The Lakenvelder's eye is really bad though and looks like it has a LOT of scarring on the lids... I don't know if that's going to subside much... But he's eating and seems to be acting normally. If he gets better but has the ugly eye it'll be ok, as long as he's not suffering... He'll just be "unique"!

So glad to hear his eye is doing better!!!!

AFTER the worst of this is over and the eye is healing up, you can use a steroidal eye ointment on his lid to help take care of some of the scarring.
Do NOT use it IN or on his eyes now with the infection active in case he's scratched his cornea during his episodes with the irritation because it will cause more damage than good. The steroid will inhibit healing with a scratched cornea and make any bacteria/fungal infection in the eye go rampant if you do it without a fluro-stain of the cornea to check for scratches/injury first. If you don't want to go to the expense of steroidal eye ointment then you could also try shea butter or olive oil on the scarred area to see if it'll help it heal without scarring so much.
Good luck and do keep everyone posted on his progress!!

They are all looking a lot better... Like I mentioned before, the lakenvelder isn't looking too hot - even though he DOES look better (believe it or not)

Here are some pics of the EE cockerel from the first post...

P1050310.JPG

P1050311.JPG

Doesn't he look GREAT!?!? I'm so happy for him! The BLH and the other EE look almost completely perfect again too
smile.png

Now here is the LV... He LOOKS BETTER.. seriously... but his eye is NASTY! He is acting normally, eating, is normally rowdy when I treat him... but that eye is just nasty. These pics are from today before I cleaned his eye and medicated him (the eye ointment makes it look even nastier...)

Brace yourselves...
hit.gif

P1050285.JPG

P1050301.JPG

When I treat him I hold him on his side and let the saline soften up some of the yellow scabs so I can wipe them away... I treat his eye with the terramycin ointment while he's on his side too, so it can get into the eye (there is a little hole where his lids separate a little). His other eye looks great and like I said, he's acting fine...

Does anyone have any suggestions on what else I can do for him?

Does anyone have any suggestions on what else I can do for the LV cockerel with the nasty eye? Today was the last recommended day of injections (Tylan 50 - day 5) but I'm thinking I should do them a few more days with him... Is there anything else I can do? I couldn't get any of the scabs off today, so I just soaked it with saline and put the ointment on it and his beak lesions.

Also, when would it be safe to return the others to the flock? As soon as symptoms are gone - or should I wait a while longer to be safe?

THANKS!

Me and kanchii had a roo like this but he ended up having to go to the vet to get a big ball of gross puss out, unfortunately we waited to long so he went blind and needed to have his eye removed. You might, if possible want to take that bird to the vet so you don't end up having to do a big operation like an eye removal which cost like $400!

i had one of my Buff orpingtons eyes do that! looked like your worst one and i went and got LA-200 and gave it .5cc's for 3 days, at day 2 of the shots it was 90% gone, and by day three you couldnt even tell, wish you luck! btw mine got it 3 days after i changed the bedding from straw to wood shavings!

Quote:
I've been giving him Tylan 50 for 5 days... and he does look a little better... I'm just wondering if I should put some vaseline or triple antibiotic on it to soften it up and try to pick that funk off...

Is LA-200 similar to the Tylan I've been giving him?

I really can't afford to take him to the vet right now - I recently lost my job and am disabled... so money is tight... Feeding all of the chickens is top priority right now and a $400 vet bill just isn't gonna happen...
sad.png

Quote:
I've been giving him Tylan 50 for 5 days... and he does look a little better... I'm just wondering if I should put some vaseline or triple antibiotic on it to soften it up and try to pick that funk off...

I really can't afford to take him to the vet right now - I recently lost my job and am disabled... so money is tight... Feeding all of the chickens is top priority right now and a $400 vet bill just isn't gonna happen...
sad.png

yes tylan will work great too, it looks to me like most of the infection is gone, its just scabbed over, im no expert but what i did was kept it moist for 24 hours then i put my thumbs over the buff's eye and opened it myself, and it finally healed and she was able to open her eye and keep it open once i tore it open, because you do not want it to heal over like that, i didnt think anyways, i figured it would have healed stuck, other than the scabbing it is really looking good, and i know that a lot of people including me cannot afford to take a chicken to a vet even though we would really like to, to some its just not possible!

Quote:

sad.png

yes tylan will work great too, it looks to me like most of the infection is gone, its just scabbed over, im no expert but what i did was kept it moist for 24 hours then i put my thumbs over the buff's eye and opened it myself, and it finally healed and she was able to open her eye and keep it open once i tore it open, because you do not want it to heal over like that, i didnt think anyways, i figured it would have healed stuck, other than the scabbing it is really looking good, and i know that a lot of people including me cannot afford to take a chicken to a vet even though we would really like to, to some its just not possible!

How did you keep it moist that long? Bandage? Vaseline? I am more than willing to "pick the scab" but I want to soften it up because it is stuck on there very tightly and will hurt. I can see the "lid line" and think I can get it separated if it's softened up. It doesn't look infected anymore, no leaking or smell... and he is VERY hyper...

Should I continue the Tylan longer than the recommended 5 days with him?

I released the other 3 back to the flock... They look PERFECT now! HOORAY!!!

Thanks for your help!!!
smile.png
smile.png
smile.png
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom