funky egg

SuzClaytor

In the Brooder
Jul 9, 2015
Bulls Gap, TN
Hey everyone! I've been around for awhile but don't post very much. One of my hens produced an egg with a bumpy top end. I feed them layer feed and oyster shells as well as home made mash. They free range all over our mountain, but go to their coop at night. We've been lucky as they have a lot of ground cover and tend to hang with me during the day around the house. They are happy chickens! They have been laying for a few months but I was confused regarding this egg. Any comments?

Sometimes, for whatever reason, the odd egg or two can turn out like you describe. I'm sure it must be caused by a number of contributory factors, but since you feed them layers and oyster shell and they free range, i would not consider a cause for concern as they for sure are not calcium deficient.

CT

Welcome to the BYC flock! We are glad you joined us!

jumpy.gif
D.gif
welcome-byc.gif
D.gif
jumpy.gif

Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. X2 on CTKen; for whatever reason, hens will occasionally lay an odd-shaped egg. It's no cause for concern and the next eggs that she lays will in all likelihood look normal. :eek:) Please feel free to ask any other questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Cheers.

Thank you all so much! She laid a perfect egg today, so I'm not too worried. My chickens are my babies and I just wanted to make sure everything was okay. I love this forum and really appreciate all the knowledge I've gained here.

NorthFLchick...thanks for the link.

I leave a small dish of oyster shell in the coop, but they only stay in at night and have it at their disposal. They don't seem to favor it much, but could they be getting too much calcium? I really don't think so but wanted to ask.

I leave a small dish of oyster shell in the coop, but they only stay in at night and have it at their disposal. They don't seem to favor it much, but could they be getting too much calcium? I really don't think so but wanted to ask.

I've found that my girls eat more of the oyster shell when it's placed right next to their feed. You might try that to encourage your girls to take in more of it.

I doubt your birds are getting too much calcium, they use a lot of it producing eggs, that's why it's important we supplement it for them.

Thank you all so much! She laid a perfect egg today, so I'm not too worried. My chickens are my babies and I just wanted to make sure everything was okay. I love this forum and really appreciate all the knowledge I've gained here.

You're welcome; and I agree with NorthFlChick, if your girls are laying, they are not getting too much calcium. They will only eat the crushed oyster shells when they feel the need for additional calcium.

Back
Top Bottom