Funniest place you found a nest

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by omelette'smom, Nov 3, 2008.

1. omelette'smom

omelette'smom Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2008
    New Hampshire
    I've read a lot of posts about hidden nests......what's the funniest place you had? mine sounds kind of boring next to some others i've read about but to me it was the first and very funny at the time! My EE hid a nest of 9 almost INSIDE a haybale and they were not even all hers!! [​IMG] :weeegreen, brown white and a bantum all together!! what's your funny spot??

2. Appytaz

Appytaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2008
    Central Florida
    The last one was under a palm fron in the horse's front turnout paddock. I have no clue how he didn't step on her! And what ever made her to decide that was a nice place - "out in the middle of no where - under a fron" Silly Chickens - [​IMG] I guess it worked - she got to keep her eggs and hatched 9 chicks out on her own. By the time I found where she was I didn't have the heart to "abort" them. She had already been sitting a week.

3. hennypenny9

hennypenny9 Chillin' With My Peeps

One RIR hid her nest in between two rows of stacked firewood. We didn't find her for a while because she was the same color as the wood! Another time she hid it under our house. It is a log cabin with lots of crawl space. And finally, in our detached garage. The door was ajar, and she found a box of clothes that someone had forgot to close the lid on. All the same RIR, mind you, with no rooster so it was sad and pointless.

4. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

I have Stepford chickens. They lay in the nests.

5. BeauTabiano

BeauTabiano Out Of The Brooder

Oct 28, 2008
    Prunedale, California
    ive found a nest in my horses feed , the hen was sitting on her eggs while my horse way eating . he looked sorta confused lol

6. jnjross

jnjross Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2008
    edwards, ms
    inside our smoker [​IMG]

under the mower

under the bushhog

Last edited: Nov 3, 2008
  7. momma's chickens

momma's chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2008
    Idaho
    I have a homemade self-feed feeder and it sits off the ground just a little maybe three inches and yesterday I found a nest under there.

We have also found them in the wood pile, in the hay bale and behind the shop behind a barrel!

8. BayCityBabe

BayCityBabe Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2008
    Under the roosts. Pah-hooey! Bleck! Uck!
    [​IMG]

9. Patchesnposies

Patchesnposies Chickens.....are my ONE weakness!

Mar 5, 2008
    Southern New Mexico
    It took us a while to realize someone was using our planter as a nesting box. It is quite high up. When I climbed up and peeked inside there were 24 green eggs up there!

I took Granny's picture (from the ground) and left the eggs for my husband to see (I wanted him to climb up and take a picture for me) and he cleaned them out before I could tell him, I was so sad.

It looked like some sort of loot all green and piled up so high! The only reason I found them was that an egg fell out (or she laid it over the side) and was broken on the patio.

They sure are funny critters......

[​IMG]

10. Colored Egg Farmer

Colored Egg Farmer Chicken overload

I found mine in the feeder....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by