Funny Chick

BlessedCountry6

Songster
5 Years
Mar 8, 2014
peace, hope and country
This is my first time with chickens since I was a kid. We have done pretty well with our chicks. One of our chicks runs around and jumps on or will peck at the others. They are all growing in their feathers so they are indoors. This last week the thing has found a place up on the water dispenser and sits up there most of the time. When we clean out the water the thing looks at us like, yes, what do you want?? (this chicks name is Licorice)
We have been reading a bit here and there and we are wondering if these are signs that this chick will be a rooster? When do roosters start showing signs they are boys? We have 29 chicks so I am guessing we will get a few roosters but Licorice is the only one acting this way.

To me how they act (well endless they are crowing) does not tell anything about gender... If you want you could post some pictures of them? They normally muture more quickly and have larger combs.

Last edited:
I just got my chicks on the 11th of April so they still have a lot of fluff. All of their heads are still covered in fluff. My oldest ones are getting a few feathers on their chests. The younger ones only have feathers on their wings and a little on the back shoulder area. I will go out and take a few pics and post them. It will take a few minutes.

When do they start getting their combs? So probably just am active chick if they don't act up while they are little. Thank you! Here is a pic of our funny Licorice

When do they start getting their combs? So probably just am active chick if they don't act up while they are little. Thank you! Here is a pic of our funny Licorice

My BR Maude did the same thing.... She was the first to fly on top of her waterer.... Lol.., I remember it was funny... she's also the biggest of them all, matured fastest... She is my fav by far!!

CUTE!! Thanks for the info and the pic! It does seem to be one of my biggest birds and with the attitude it will get to be the biggest, I am sure, since it jumps on who ever is in the way. It is so funny to watch them!! Even with half their feathers they act like the big chickens I had when I was little. I thought they would be all fluffy and cute for longer. They are so entertaining!

Last edited:
at about 2-3 weeks you can tell the roos from hens by how they grow tail and wing feathers....the hens grow longer tails and wing feathers the roos have short wing and tail feathers...jeff

Back
Top Bottom