Funny Chicken Stories

Hotwings

Songster
12 Years
Jan 27, 2007
southwestern Michigan
I am new to the world of our poultry friends and I know there has got to be alot of amusing stories out there about them.

I don't have alot of exposure to alot of breeds but I think bantams are very comical. I remember when my friend Denise first got her Millie Fluer chicks she kept them in the rabbit shed(she was breeding rabbits at the time) because she didn't have anywhere else to keep them. She wasn't aware that bantams fly very well. Well anyway even tho they were small at the time, they were able to fly to the top of the rubber bin she kept them in! Before long they were flying all over and driving the rabbits in their cages nuts. It was so funny, especially to see Denise trying to round up these little terrors. They were eventually confined to a birdcage till they were big enough to go to their new coop.

I would very much enjoy hearing your funny chicken stories.

Hey Hotwings, Great idea for a thread. I sure wish I could think of a funny story. I know there are alot of them. My mind just draws a blank. To much going on, I guess. I sure hope someone has some stories to share.

Ok, I suck at telling stories, but...

One day I walked into the coop to find Lucy the hen with one foot on the roost and the other foot paddling the air. So I walked over and put my hand underneath her foot, she stepped on my hand turned around and walked away. I guess she got stuck!?

well just the other day we had enough snow overnight to cover everything & my girls are not even a year old so they were very confused by the white stuff. One by one they reluctantly came down the ramp & worked their way to the patio to get under the table & out of the snow. Then I heard a hawk like sound & my crazy, afraid of her own shadow EE was flying across the yard from the door of the chicken coop to the patio so she didn't have to step in the snow!!!! she fly just like a regular bird!
I'm sure I'll think of others.

Last edited:
Hi all! One of my hens, a speckled sussex named Addy is into wandering. She's so funny though. I'll go looking for her down the road, neighbors yard in the field or woods, and when she sees me she starts running just as fast as her little legs take her so that she can get to the coop before me. It's like I won't notice she's gone if she gets there first. She's also first for hand outs, petting or anything!

I don't know how funny this is, but we thought it was interesting...a year or so ago our rooster Whitey got sick with a bad eye infection. At the time we had no other resource but to take him to our vet, who is an exotic pets vet but I think Whitey was his first chicken, judging by the reaction of his staff. He joked about the intelligence of chickens (as in not having any). He left us alone briefly and we were in a room with Whitey on a cold metal table; above the table was a picture of flying geese. Suddenly Whitey stood up (he'd been crouching); and eyed the picture; seemed to be fascinated by it; as he turned so he could eye it with his other eye too and stared at it for several minutes. I was sure he recognized the picture as flying birds! For the following couple of weeks Whitey lived in our garage away from the others while we treated him twice daily, and gave him every treat we could think of on top of that. When he recovered and returned to the flock, there was another rooster who would always attack us whenever we went to the barn. Whitey took it upon himself to protect us from this rooster....it was as if it was his way of saying thanks, or maybe he just felt loyalty cause we'd been his only family all that time. I could tell lots of other Whitey stories, but he is by far the smartest chicken I've ever known; no question but that he has brains!

Great to hear some funny and interesting stories. They are always such a joy. I don't know, but it always cracks me up when I go down and just say "Hi Girls" and they just come a running. They run so funny. And Jack, (the rooster) Just sits back and crows with this little harem of bantams with him.

My girls love to eat snow, and they don't mind if there is a little snow. But I have not let them out since it has been so cold and we have so much snow now. I do put some snow in there coop from time to time and they just eat it up. I read somewhere( or maybe Hotwings told me) that chickens like to eat snow, it is kinda like a treat for them. you must of course keep fresh water out for them too.

Last edited:
This happened 2 years ago but it is still funny to me. My RIR was missing & I thought she flew over the fence. I was walking around calling "Mrs Munson" for about 2 hours. People looked at me like I was nuts, when I asked them if they saw a chicken. I was so upset because it was getting dark when my husband yelled that he found her. She went thru the dog door and went to sleep by the fire place in our living room

We have a black hen that is completely attached to our black Nigerian dwarf goat, she travels around on her back and they sleep together.

One of our roosters is such a gentlemen he nudges food for our ladies to eat when I throw food out to them. I call him Mr. Darcy.

The absolute funniest chicken story I've heard comes from a friend of mine. She looked out her window one morning and saw a dead hen in the yard (forget how it died) and 3 of her roosters were "taking turns" with her. The way she tells the story is hysterical. "She really wants it" "Ooh, baby, I know you love this" - it was so funny because it's just like roosters - taking turns with a dead hen.

Back
Top Bottom