Funny Chicken Stories

We needed some cheering up from our chicken friends, and got it today...on a beautiful mild windy March day what do you do, but fly a kite, so my daughters and I went to fly one in the hayfield by our barn around 5:00 this evening. This is always the time that our chickens congregate by the front barn door to enjoy the rest of the evening before going to roost. As soon as they saw the kite go up, they thought hawk, so there was this steady stream of chickens going into the barn! The last one in line was Dazzle, one of our younger roos. He glanced over his shoulder and you could see him thinking to himself "I don't think that's a hawk..." But he went in. About ten minutes later one of our Black Star hens ventured out. She aimed an eyeball at the sky, decided there was no danger, and ambled over to us to say hello. A few minutes later we could hear Whitey, our senior roo, growling at her from inside the barn, and she decided she'd better go back in. Every five minutes or so after that, we could see one of the chickens poke a head out the door to check on things. As soon as we brought the kite down, they came out of the barn again. They are so funny! Who says chickens can't reason!

I had a silkie roo who would make the most horrid noises, scratch and jump on the front door till he was let in to sleep at the edge of a box with a poo collecting box. He would never miss and waited patiently till everyone got up to crow and be let out! I miss him!

i have a 9 week old RIR hen who rides on my 4 month old goats back,why i am not sure.but i think the goat like the free back scratches lol

My buff rock hen thinks she's a dog... or maybe a person. She follows me around as I'm gardening and gobbles up the bugs. She comes running when she sees me, expecting treats... but the funniest of all... One day I went out to the patio. My roommate was out there smoking a cigarette and Blondie (the hen) was standing there straight across from her - about 8 ft away, staring her in they eye and cackling as if they were having a conversation! It was the funniest thing! I told my roomie she must have been getting a lecture from Blondie about how bad cigarettes are for you.
smile.png

well i got a story, not the most pleasant though. When my mom was younger, she had to go feed the chickens. There was one rooster that would try to attack her every time she went to go get the eggs. He would jump up and aim his spurs at her face. So one day the rooster jumped up at her with suprising speed and all she could do was swing the metal egg bucket at him. It smacked him on the side of the head. Dazed, he wobbled away into the coop, and my mom ran home. The next day my grandpa pulls her aside and says " something weird happen to the rooster... his eye fell out!" My mom felt extremely guilty but remained silent and denied wat happened. A week later, the rooster died, to the family it was a "mystery". My mom just summed up the courage to tell my grandpa what had happened. It took her till last year to tell him why the rooster died. And she was about 15 when it happened!!

Last edited:
The other day I was eating a snack out on the porch waiting for a visitor to arrive. My chickens started hanging around waiting for a handout. I heard a car honking and ran down the driveway to see if he was here. It was just a neighbors car. When I came back inside one of my chickens had gotten into the house and there she was on the table happily looking out the window standing on the flour bin!

I loved the stories and the laughs. The only thing I can think of right now is Chelsea grabbed Rowdy by the leg to bring him in the hospital-coop and Foggy went crazy because he heard him fuss.

A few weeks ago, we had contractors out to put in a brick chimney for our wood stove. Well....most of the workers are kids( probably 18 to 20 yrs old) and city kids at that. Well...I had let the chickens out to do thier daily roaming...and warned them to not step on any of them as they mingled around, watching every move the "newbies" made. Well.....lunch time came for the workers...and as they sat in the yard, unwrapping thier lunches...the hens hear the plastic and come running. These kids FROZE! I came outside at just the right time...and there they were...all just sitting there, stareing each other down. Those kids looked terrified, they wouldnt move. One finally asked...."are they going to attack?" I was ROFL!!! I told them the hens just wanted to share thier lunch, and preoceeded to shoo them away. One of the kids had grapes...I told him, he might want to stand up and eat those, as they love grapes. Just about that time, Polly, my oldest hen, jumped right up, and took the grape from that kids hand. He fell over backwards...yelling profanities! LOL I laughed so hard...as I tried to shoo the hens. The other boys were laughing at him as well. After a few minutes....the boys were more comfortable, and was feeding the hens the grapes.....throwing them at each other, makeing the hens " attack"! LOL It was a great lunch, one I am sure those city boys will never forget!

Back
Top Bottom