Funny Eggs!

RichieChickies

In the Brooder
5 Years
Apr 29, 2014
Decatur Il.
We have a flock of 30 RIR's. I just took over chicken duty and noticed that the shells are not what they should be. Mottled, extra calcium coating (some look whitewashed), wrinkling, and little "nipples" on them. Plus I have had two in a week that were shell-less! From the research I have done, I think it could be one of two things. But help me here! Maybe it is too much calcium. Maybe it is infectious bronchitis. I really have no idea. The eggs have been looking better since they have been able to free range and forage lately. Leads me to the too much calcium idea... Thank you for any help you can give!

They get a scoop of scratch with corn, sorghum, and black oil sunflower in the evenings. The feed is egg-a-day, so it has the extra calcium. I have oyster shell but have not been adding it as the feed has so much already. They free range during the day most days, so their general diet is good. especially when the school farm gets the vegetables going. They are welcome to range in there also. Nom nom nom, bugs and worms and over-ripe veggies!

They get a scoop of scratch with corn, sorghum, and black oil sunflower in the evenings. The feed is egg-a-day, so it has the extra calcium. I have oyster shell but have not been adding it as the feed has so much already. They free range during the day most days, so their general diet is good. especially when the school farm gets the vegetables going. They are welcome to range in there also. Nom nom nom, bugs and worms and over-ripe veggies!
Even if you are feeding layer feed with added calcium, I still recommend putting a bowl of oyster shell on the side for them, so they can self-regulate their calcium.

Hopefully that will help the eggshells.

I like to keep layer feed out in the coop for them - it doesn't go empty, so they can fill their crops all day. It sounds like your layer feed and treats are all OK, but I would add the oyster shell and see what happens. It can make a big difference!

Back
Top Bottom