funny looking Egg Cell?U shaped egg cell or baby???

petunias212

Songster
9 Years
Jan 12, 2011
I'm on day 11 of incubating some Ameracauna eggs and one of the eggs has the weirdest looking egg cell...hopefully my eyes aren't playing tricks on me...

there's plenty of visible veining and movement....but the black mass looks likes its in the shape of the letter U...You see how in the letter U, there's a lot of empty space right at the curve - that's what my egg looks like...lots of space at the curve...Why is that?? Is that the egg cell or the baby chick shaped like that??

Oh, this is exactly what I'm dealing with right now. I have some shipped eggs on day 13 with oddly "U" shaped air cells. I've read some other posts that suggest this may be due to the air cells being misshapen from the shipping.

`
so common with shipped eggs..without a picture they cant tell.but sounds like air cell detached..allowing the eggs to sit still on counter on counter for at least 12 hours helps then allowing eggs to sit still and upright in incubator for at least 6 days helps embryo to get a strong start and air cells improve , some will heal depending on amount of damage.start turning them , they should incubate in upright position the entire hatch..eggs out of your own barn can be hatched lying down the whole time because those do not have that kind of damage. and gently turned by hand or in turner

I can't get my camera to take a picture of what I'm seeing so i drew one...I'm no picasso and personal note to my Auntie, if you read my posts and you come across this one..I am NOT making fun of Uncle's hair piece...this is what I'm seeing in this one egg that is exactly 13 days old.

You see how it looks like an upside down letter U?? That's what I'm seeing. This egg is not going to make it right??
76596_weirdeggcell.jpg

My other two eggs look like the day 14 line, more or less
76596_eggcell.gif

To me it sounds like the black mass is the chick. Although they should develop at the pointy end, for awhile mine were in the wrong end and tehy may have looked sort of like that before they got big enough to fill up more space.

lol. I love the hairpiece comment.
lol.png

Back
Top Bottom