Funny looking egg--what's going on?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Heather J, Jul 24, 2008.

1. Heather J

Heather J Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2008
    I tried taking a picture, but my camera refused to put the egg in focus, so I'll have to describe it.

I have one EE who lays blue eggs and the past three have all been odd. The shell is really thin, with an uneven texture (reminds me of when they spray mud to texture walls--both in roughness and because it has the same kind of mat finish--like flat paint instead of the slight sheen eggs usually have. She has equal access to food/water/oyster shell as the rest of the hens, and I'm not sure which of my EE it is--I have three and I'm almost never around when they lay. Any ideas about what might be causing the problem?

2. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    The deposits are calcium deposits from what I have read here about that sort of thing. I hope someone can help you figure out what's wrong! Good luck! Maybe if you are able to get a picture here someone would be able to help you quicker. Try using the flower setting on your camera if you have one.

3. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Enchanted Sunrise Farms Overrun With Chickens

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    i know exactly what you mean. i think it has to do with the shell layer in the hen's production cycle. The shell is the last thing that gets laid on the egg before it comes out - well, except for the bloom. Sometimes it gets put on unevenly, almost like gravel. My hen Penny did that when she first started laying, but has not in a long while.

Is your hen new to egg laying? Is she broody or molting?

4. Heather J

Heather J Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2008
    That's exactly what it looks like--gravel. I'm not sure which of my EE lays the blue eggs, but she's been laying even since we got her in February. She was laying way less for a while there, but is starting to pick up again. I'm not sure if it was the 100 degree heat we had for a few weeks, or if she's starting to molt...most of my girls are coming up on their one-year marks so they should be soon. None of the hens have gone broody.

I'm trying to figure out where I stashed my camera charger, then I have to figure out how to use the flower setting--or if my camera even has one. I sure hope it does, it would come in super handy.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by