Funny/Sad/Happy stories of your chickens

Pics
Probably was the crow. My girls get nervous even when a dove flies really low, so unless i see ALL of them looking up, i take my time getting out there.

An owl flew right over my head while i was riding tonight. It. Was. Silent. :th I'm suprised my horse didn't spook! :lau

Yep! -_- I really hope she isnt... But Sis said that our other 2 rabbits might have dug it last time they escaped. :fl May has just been taking care of it. :lol:

Oh wow.... I have a hen who mounts the other hens since her husband died, but a hen takin on a roo?! What breed is she?

Cool!

LOL :lau

Mine will do the growling and the rooster will screech when some crows fly by, but they never have run from the crows. Probably because the crows are more shy and wild than the city crows, so they don't come up close.

Oh wow.... I have a hen who mounts the other hens since her husband died, but a hen takin on a roo?! What breed is she?

She's a silkie!
Okay, the roo she mounted is a polish/silkie mix. So he can fly up to the "2nd floor" of the coop with the modern game bantams. Brutus can barely hop to get to the enclosed part of the coop that is 18 inches off the ground. But when she fought the roo, she hopped up in the air, feet raised infront of her to clobber him up! He flew up too with his feet infront of him - so it was like boxing! I thought only roos do that!

It's kinda like that scene when Yoda fought Count Dooku. Yoda limps with his cane then he drops the cane and flies all over. That's what Brutus reminded me of... she walks slowly up the ramp because she can't hop to the enclosed area yet she goes flying at the roo!

She's a silkie!
Okay, the roo she mounted is a polish/silkie mix. So he can fly up to the "2nd floor" of the coop with the modern game bantams. Brutus can barely hop to get to the enclosed part of the coop that is 18 inches off the ground. But when she fought the roo, she hopped up in the air, feet raised infront of her to clobber him up! He flew up too with his feet infront of him - so it was like boxing! I thought only roos do that!

It's kinda like that scene when Yoda fought Count Dooku. Yoda limps with his cane then he drops the cane and flies all over. That's what Brutus reminded me of... she walks slowly up the ramp because she can't hop to the enclosed area yet she goes flying at the roo!
:eek: I've never heard of a silkie being that agressive!
Yeah, that's how chickens fight. Kickin and peckin and cluckin bloody murder. :lol:

Best illustration ever. :wee

Here is a little story for ya
I have a moody Silkie we call Fluffy Butt. She gets her way with the other hens. Even our Dominate hen will make way for her.
Well yesterday I could not find her. She ALWAYS came to my call,but nothing All day.
I got worried something got her.
After worrying for hours,cried for ten min,looked for two hours..I found nothing.
Later came outside,tossed some sunflower seeds out for a treat....looked down and
SILKIE BUTT!! She came from out of nowhere!!
Silly Silkie!!

:eek: I've never heard of a silkie being that agressive!
Yeah, that's how chickens fight. Kickin and peckin and cluckin bloody murder. :lol:

Best illustration ever. :wee

My silkie roos sometimes have their scuffles, but neither get injured from them. It is just them showing off their strength to the girls and asserting dominance. :p Just because a breed is said to be docile doesn't grantee a docile bird due to differing personalities.

I know that they can cause damage if they wanted to in very short time, as when Peep-Peep was younger, he challenged his mother who kept bullying him and his siblings when they were small and the fight lasted half a second before his dad broke it up by kicking the hen. Peep-Peep had a long streak of blood down his neck from a teeni scratch on his ear lobe the hen caused. Scared the hell out of me when I first saw it and poor Peep-Peep was annoyed when I swooped him up and was looking him over, making annoyed whines as if saying "I'm fine, really! You are embarrassing meeee!"

I made a quail egg sandwich as a snack... The chickens stole one boiled quail egg though. It rolled off my sandwich as I was folding it, and chaos ensued from the previously sleeping hens, as the lead hen divebombed it the moment it hit the floor and grabbed it. I thought it was game over, when one of the lower ranking ones did a WWE move and jumped on her back from on top of a chair! Startling the lead hen into fleeing instead of fighting like she usually does, so the lower ranking ones and 3 month olds had a chance at snatching it, getting little beakfuls as they chased after the lead hen and managed to catch up with her... :lau

The two roos just awkwardly stood there watching the chaos, unsure on what to do. :p

I made a quail egg sandwich as a snack... The chickens stole one boiled quail egg though. It rolled off my sandwich as I was folding it, and chaos ensued from the previously sleeping hens, as the lead hen divebombed it the moment it hit the floor and grabbed it. I thought it was game over, when one of the lower ranking ones did a WWE move and jumped on her back from on top of a chair! Startling the lead hen into fleeing instead of fighting like she usually does, so the lower ranking ones and 3 month olds had a chance at snatching it, getting little beakfuls as they chased after the lead hen and managed to catch up with her... :lau

The two roos just awkwardly stood there watching the chaos, unsure on what to do. :p

Hahaha! :lau

Not a chicken story.
I was just sitting out on the porch drinking some super strong coffee when I saw what looked like a ferret walking through the front yard. Walking, loping, if you've ever seen how a ferret moves you know what I mean. I start going toward it thinking "ooh! I love ferrets! I'll just see if I can get it and maybe find it's owner." We have few neighbors out here in the country. It would be easy. Except people can be stupid and it wouldn't be the first time somebody dumped a ferret in the wild thinking it could survive. They can't, btw.
As I get closer I see how big it is. Here's where the strong coffee comes into play. It's not a ferret. It's too big. I take off a running after it. It finally notices me and darts through the fence into the corn field. A mongoose, weasel? Too big, I thought. I check my handy dandy mammals of Ohio guidebook and find it's an American mink! Voraceous killers that kill more than they can eat. I'm putting out the live trap. I will call the wildlife guy. Maybe I'll have myself a fancy mink hide?
Since we've gotten these chickens I've seen 4 grey foxes (a family, mama and 3 kits), 1 red fox, 1 badger and now a mink. GAH!

Not a chicken story.
I was just sitting out on the porch drinking some super strong coffee when I saw what looked like a ferret walking through the front yard. Walking, loping, if you've ever seen how a ferret moves you know what I mean. I start going toward it thinking "ooh! I love ferrets! I'll just see if I can get it and maybe find it's owner." We have few neighbors out here in the country. It would be easy. Except people can be stupid and it wouldn't be the first time somebody dumped a ferret in the wild thinking it could survive. They can't, btw.
As I get closer I see how big it is. Here's where the strong coffee comes into play. It's not a ferret. It's too big. I take off a running after it. It finally notices me and darts through the fence into the corn field. A mongoose, weasel? Too big, I thought. I check my handy dandy mammals of Ohio guidebook and find it's an American mink! Voraceous killers that kill more than they can eat. I'm putting out the live trap. I will call the wildlife guy. Maybe I'll have myself a fancy mink hide?
Since we've gotten these chickens I've seen 4 grey foxes (a family, mama and 3 kits), 1 red fox, 1 badger and now a mink. GAH!

:eek: I remember when i met one of my best friends on here, a mink had killed one of her geese. A full grown goose!!! :th
I vote for the fancy mink hide personally. :p

Back
Top Bottom