Funny/Sad/Happy stories of your chickens

Pics

PeepersMama

Living in a galaxy far, far away...
7 Years
Oct 17, 2016
Chickens are silly. So they make some pretty silly stories to tell. And I wrote poems for my chickens, have silly pictures, and random coincidences that happen to make perfect sense SOOOO...
Canary (red cochin banty) can fly 8ft almost straight up. So can Finch (EE/BO).

And now for my personal favorite poem:

Peep
Her feathers are yellow,
Her feet are white-pink,
Her comb is all crooked,
And she likes me - I think.
Peep's fun to talk with
She only says "Perp!"
So If I say "You're ugly"
She says "Okay, sure."
When folk's say ,"She's fat!"
My Peep gets offended,
And so I will tell them,
"She's only well feathered!."
I love Peep so much
And when she quits layin'
I made Peep a promise
That we'd let her stay.
~ Dedicated to Peep, the cutest, fluffiest
little buff I've ever had.

They were cute then, handsome now!

I have a flock of four hens and one rooster, two Easter Eggers (Freya and Eyown), two Amarucanas (Rosie and Pulitzer), and one black cooper marans rooster (Rooster). Well the pecking order is all messed up right now because baby roo is working his way to the top. Pulitzer is on top, Freya is next and then Eyo, and all the way on the bottom only above the rooster is little Rosie the Amarucana (who is also the roos adopted mother and used to be on top). Well Rosie has gotten into a habit of stalking her sisters and running in to steal their food when they aren't watching, this is my favorite picture in the whole world. She's stalking them in the tall grass, waiting for her chance to pounce.
IMG_20171126_111201.jpg

I have a really odd one.
One time we found a stray orpington just walking along the side of the road. (We never found her owners.) Skeeter (her new name) was not cuddly but we held her a lot to calm her. One day, I left the yard gate open, the one that leads into the street. With my silkies I don't have to worry because they don't wander, but Skeeter... well, we went out and she wasn't there!! We looked until Midnight and I was bawling my eyes out. I searched the backyard one last time, and suddenly heard "...cu cuuuuu cu cu?" It was Skeeter! She was up on the fence. That's about an eight foot jump! As I put her in, I looked up and, I kid you not, a red orb was trailing the sky. It sputtered and disappeared after a couple minutes. It might have been a meteorite or something!
Skeeter is now living with our friend, a fellow chicken-raiser.

I just thought I'd contribute to the thread..

Okay. So, last Easter, I decided I wanted chickens again. I went to the local TSC and purchased several. (I forget the exact number, around 24..) While I was there, I noticed a tiny black chick, looking very sickly under the heat lamp. I felt bad for the little dude, so I took her home with me. (Flash forward several weeks and I'm moving them to their outside home.) I noticed that the tiny black chick was still the tiny black chick. She was much smaller than all of her adoptive brothers and sisters, even the banties. I didn't know what she was, so I consulted BYC but no one could give me a definitive answer. After extensive research with no real results, I gave up trying to figure out what she was.

A couple months ago, she disappeared for a few weeks. I thought that one of my dogs got her and left her body under the house. One afternoon, I went out to feed the chickens and, lo and behold, there's Crowley. My tiny black chick with 7 of her very own even tinier black chicks. I was so excited to see her, I dropped what I was doing immediately and ran inside to grab some treats(and my camera to document the marvelous sight.) I threw out the treats and grabbed some quick photos of mama bird and her offspring. I will now insert a photo of them. Enjoy

23000213_1465787593542381_72235618268654037_o.jpg

(I still have absolutely no idea what she is. Can someone help me out with that?)

Anyways; one by one, the chicks disappeared due to frequent dog attacks. When I left for my annual trip to Arkansas, she had 5. When I returned, she had 2. She then retreated back under the house to prevent further murders. A couple days after my arrival, she disappeared again. I hoped she was raising the chicks out of sight, but it seemed far-fetched. Today, while searching for eggs under the house, I made a gruesome discovery. I found my poor tiny black chick in a dark corner, stiff as a board..

I promptly hosted a funeral for her, which my dogs and cats attended. And by "attended" I mean "sniffed around while I was digging the hole, then left."

Sorry if the imagery was a bit, um, colourful. I enjoy writing.. :confused:

So I named this chick miracle today. We had a mishap at some point in time with the heat lamps which left them off for an extended period of time. wasnt such a big deal for the 3 week old chicks but the babies in another box suffered. by the time it was realized, one had already died, I believe due to the cold, the other was close to dieing and 4 were shivering like crazy but holding on. I brought miracle in the house, wrapped her in a wash cloth trying to warm her up. Eventually she warmed up enough to begin breathing on her own to eventually get her pepped up and back to normal within a few hours thanks to reading about caring for weak chicks lastnight on the forum.

Attachments

• 20180322_134010.jpg
    20180322_134010.jpg
    190.4 KB · Views: 5
This poem is for my lovely Spyke:

My Spyke
When my Spyke was little,
She loved to look for fights,
And when I tried to hold her,
She would try to bite!
So I told my Spyke,
"You stop that!"