Funny/Sad/Happy stories of your chickens

I have a really odd one.
One time we found a stray orpington just walking along the side of the road. (We never found her owners.) Skeeter (her new name) was not cuddly but we held her a lot to calm her. One day, I left the yard gate open, the one that leads into the street. With my silkies I don't have to worry because they don't wander, but Skeeter... well, we went out and she wasn't there!! We looked until Midnight and I was bawling my eyes out. I searched the backyard one last time, and suddenly heard "...cu cuuuuu cu cu?" It was Skeeter! She was up on the fence. That's about an eight foot jump! As I put her in, I looked up and, I kid you not, a red orb was trailing the sky. It sputtered and disappeared after a couple minutes. It might have been a meteorite or something!
Skeeter is now living with our friend, a fellow chicken-raiser.

Haha! Every time one of our girls gets "lost" they're always in a super obvious place - like the tree! :rolleyes:
Do you have any pics of her?

Little Bo Peep ain't so little... :lol:
20170915_175632_Burst01.jpg

Yesterday I saw one of my hens mate another. Both were rirs. I was really confused as to what was going on until I saw her hop off and see she was actually on another hen. :/
Wait, what?

A dominant hen will take the role of a rooster if there isn't one around, it can lead to strange things like that happening, and sometimes the hen even starts crowing! :p

I have 3 boys, though Scruff is the youngest and the hens don't quite respect him yet... He has to run for his life when he tries to mount the hens as the moment he lets go, she will give chase and give him a right pecking! The older boys stay out of it majority of the time as they don't want to be caught in the crossfire... :lau

Back
Top Bottom