Funny/Sad/Happy stories of your chickens

My house near the forest. Once I look, the chickens are very noisy, jumping, screaming. came closer and saw the ricture: two chickens trying to split the snake in half. I came to them, get away from the snake. It was little viper.
But this snake bitten one chicken ... and it was a little sick ... but after a couple of days everything was fine.
I never thought that the chickens would try to eat a snake!

My girls will eat mice if they can catch them. :lol: I've seen them try to gang up on a 4 foot long bull snake before. They would've killed it in cold blood if I hadn't saved it.

I just thought I'd contribute to the thread..

Okay. So, last Easter, I decided I wanted chickens again. I went to the local TSC and purchased several. (I forget the exact number, around 24..) While I was there, I noticed a tiny black chick, looking very sickly under the heat lamp. I felt bad for the little dude, so I took her home with me. (Flash forward several weeks and I'm moving them to their outside home.) I noticed that the tiny black chick was still the tiny black chick. She was much smaller than all of her adoptive brothers and sisters, even the banties. I didn't know what she was, so I consulted BYC but no one could give me a definitive answer. After extensive research with no real results, I gave up trying to figure out what she was.

A couple months ago, she disappeared for a few weeks. I thought that one of my dogs got her and left her body under the house. One afternoon, I went out to feed the chickens and, lo and behold, there's Crowley. My tiny black chick with 7 of her very own even tinier black chicks. I was so excited to see her, I dropped what I was doing immediately and ran inside to grab some treats(and my camera to document the marvelous sight.) I threw out the treats and grabbed some quick photos of mama bird and her offspring. I will now insert a photo of them. Enjoy

23000213_1465787593542381_72235618268654037_o.jpg

(I still have absolutely no idea what she is. Can someone help me out with that?)

Anyways; one by one, the chicks disappeared due to frequent dog attacks. When I left for my annual trip to Arkansas, she had 5. When I returned, she had 2. She then retreated back under the house to prevent further murders. A couple days after my arrival, she disappeared again. I hoped she was raising the chicks out of sight, but it seemed far-fetched. Today, while searching for eggs under the house, I made a gruesome discovery. I found my poor tiny black chick in a dark corner, stiff as a board..

I promptly hosted a funeral for her, which my dogs and cats attended. And by "attended" I mean "sniffed around while I was digging the hole, then left."

Sorry if the imagery was a bit, um, colourful. I enjoy writing.. :confused:

I just thought I'd contribute to the thread..

Okay. So, last Easter, I decided I wanted chickens again. I went to the local TSC and purchased several. (I forget the exact number, around 24..) While I was there, I noticed a tiny black chick, looking very sickly under the heat lamp. I felt bad for the little dude, so I took her home with me. (Flash forward several weeks and I'm moving them to their outside home.) I noticed that the tiny black chick was still the tiny black chick. She was much smaller than all of her adoptive brothers and sisters, even the banties. I didn't know what she was, so I consulted BYC but no one could give me a definitive answer. After extensive research with no real results, I gave up trying to figure out what she was.

A couple months ago, she disappeared for a few weeks. I thought that one of my dogs got her and left her body under the house. One afternoon, I went out to feed the chickens and, lo and behold, there's Crowley. My tiny black chick with 7 of her very own even tinier black chicks. I was so excited to see her, I dropped what I was doing immediately and ran inside to grab some treats(and my camera to document the marvelous sight.) I threw out the treats and grabbed some quick photos of mama bird and her offspring. I will now insert a photo of them. Enjoy

View attachment 1208248

(I still have absolutely no idea what she is. Can someone help me out with that?)

Anyways; one by one, the chicks disappeared due to frequent dog attacks. When I left for my annual trip to Arkansas, she had 5. When I returned, she had 2. She then retreated back under the house to prevent further murders. A couple days after my arrival, she disappeared again. I hoped she was raising the chicks out of sight, but it seemed far-fetched. Today, while searching for eggs under the house, I made a gruesome discovery. I found my poor tiny black chick in a dark corner, stiff as a board..

I promptly hosted a funeral for her, which my dogs and cats attended. And by "attended" I mean "sniffed around while I was digging the hole, then left."

Sorry if the imagery was a bit, um, colourful. I enjoy writing.. :confused:

She looks like an old english game to me. Maybe a cross. ;)

This is the most beautiful thing I've read all day :th (partly cuz I had finals today, but still XD) Thank you so much for posting!

We got two ameraucana's, a silver laced wyandotte (pullets) and 3 assorted straight run banties. One looks like an OEG, one maybe a silver duckwing? and the third perhaps a mille fleur d'uccle. That's just what google had to say. Chicks!
(Oh, and we have 6 rouen ducklings, too) Duckles!
Lots of baby holding. Aw, man! :D

We got two ameraucana's, a silver laced wyandotte (pullets) and 3 assorted straight run banties. One looks like an OEG, one maybe a silver duckwing? and the third perhaps a mille fleur d'uccle. That's just what google had to say. Chicks!
(Oh, and we have 6 rouen ducklings, too) Duckles!
Lots of baby holding. Aw, man! :D

Awesome!! :wee I got six bielefelder chicks the mail last week, and earlier this year we let a mama hatch out a few welsummmer eggs. Two boys and a girl with a deformed face. Of course. :lol: :rolleyes:

One of the boy bielefelders is in my avy. His name's Publius :p

...Remembers this thread from my early BYC days...

So I got a funny one for y'all.
My mom and I were rounding up the chickens for the night, then my fat cat came strolling over to me. Then flying out of the barn come two of my white leghorns. The leghorns proceeded to CHASE MY CAT UP THE TREE! :gig :gig :gig
And they continued circling the tree for the longest time. :lol:
Oh I would've paid a million dollars to had a camera. :lau

And here's a funny/sad one.
My hen Buffy (RIP) hatched eggs last summer. (100% hatch :cool:) She was a great first time broody for the longest time, until a thunderstorm hit. Then she abandoned her chicks. :confused: Luckily their grandma Pebbles (raising chicks of her own at the time) took them in. But she was a little hesitant at first. When Pebbles and her hoard of chicks were walking, Buffy's abandoned chicks would follow. Then Pebbles would stop and look behind her, then start moving again. And everytime she looked back Buffy's chicks would disperse. :lau

...Remembers this thread from my early BYC days...

So I got a funny one for y'all.
My mom and I were rounding up the chickens for the night, then my fat cat came strolling over to me. Then flying out of the barn come two of my white leghorns. The leghorns proceeded to CHASE MY CAT UP THE TREE! :gig :gig :gig
And they continued circling the tree for the longest time. :lol:
Oh I would've paid a million dollars to had a camera. :lau

And here's a funny/sad one.
My hen Buffy (RIP) hatched eggs last summer. (100% hatch :cool:) She was a great first time broody for the longest time, until a thunderstorm hit. Then she abandoned her chicks. :confused: Luckily their grandma Pebbles (raising chicks of her own at the time) took them in. But she was a little hesitant at first. When Pebbles and her hoard of chicks were walking, Buffy's abandoned chicks would follow. Then Pebbles would stop and look behind her, then start moving again. And everytime she looked back Buffy's chicks would disperse. :lau

My cat got chased out of the yard by a chicken once too.... It's hilarious XD

See, chickens aren't THAT stupid! :gig

My guineas chase the neighbor's cat around whenever they see him. The cat has taken to running whenever it sees a chicken! No need to worry about him bothering my birds!

Haha! I've never worried about my cat's messing with my birds. Shadow used to be an ACE hunter, but he hasn't once given them a second glance. He's a really good cat. :lol:

So I named this chick miracle today. We had a mishap at some point in time with the heat lamps which left them off for an extended period of time. wasnt such a big deal for the 3 week old chicks but the babies in another box suffered. by the time it was realized, one had already died, I believe due to the cold, the other was close to dieing and 4 were shivering like crazy but holding on. I brought miracle in the house, wrapped her in a wash cloth trying to warm her up. Eventually she warmed up enough to begin breathing on her own to eventually get her pepped up and back to normal within a few hours thanks to reading about caring for weak chicks lastnight on the forum.

Attachments

• 20180322_134010.jpg
    20180322_134010.jpg
    190.4 KB · Views: 5

Back
Top Bottom