Funny/Sad/Happy stories of your chickens

Pics
Whenever my sister saw a fox near the chickens she would stare at it intensely with her evil eyes until it went away.
One time our Poppy got attacked by that fox we named 'sox the fox' practically in front of my sis' nose and my sisters had to scare it away. Thankfully Poppy just got a minor bite/scratch and lost some feathers.

XD whenever i see a fox i grab the nearest stick, and sic the dawg on it.
Sometimes that random chain if its close by..... But usually a big heavy stick. :D

Thats good that Poppy survived. :D

Today the girls got leftovers. Linguini, raspberries, shredded chicken, diced chicken breast and brussels sprouts. The looong strands of pasta were hilarious to watch being eaten. The chicken was a favorite. The few chooks who dared try the brussels sprouts ran around with beaks full of baby cabbages. Namely Oprah, the Marans. Like they were prizes.
We've gotta do this more often.

Today the girls got leftovers. Linguini, raspberries, shredded chicken, diced chicken breast and brussels sprouts. The looong strands of pasta were hilarious to watch being eaten. The chicken was a favorite. The few chooks who dared try the brussels sprouts ran around with beaks full of baby cabbages. Namely Oprah, the Marans. Like they were prizes.
We've gotta do this more often.

I can only imagine.... :lau :lau
One time we gave Duke peanut butter.... He was like "what the heck is this?!" :lau

We have a broody hen! It's one of the marans. I'll have to pay closer attention to see which one next time I check for eggs. I just noticed every time we go in there she's in the same nest box. I reached under her to grab the eggs and she did not sound happy then bit me! Lol
Been putting her up on the roost at night, much to her dismay.
Silly chicken.

We have a broody hen! It's one of the marans. I'll have to pay closer attention to see which one next time I check for eggs. I just noticed every time we go in there she's in the same nest box. I reached under her to grab the eggs and she did not sound happy then bit me! Lol
Been putting her up on the roost at night, much to her dismay.
Silly chicken.
Hehehe, have fun with that! :lol: Are you gonna let her hatch?

Ive got 2 of the broody queens going through their post-broody molt right now - Parakeet has no tail! :lau
20170827_153508.jpg 20170827_153508.jpg

I have a happy story.I had a broody hen who finally hatched a chick,I helped it out of the egg,and she did not take it back,so I raised it. It is about 2 months old now,and looks like a barred rock cockerel.

I have a happy story.I had a broody hen who finally hatched a chick,I helped it out of the egg,and she did not take it back,so I raised it. It is about 2 months old now,and looks like a barred rock cockerel.

Aww! That's too bad she didnt take it back. :( But raising chicks is alot of fun! :wee

Hehehe, have fun with that! :lol: Are you gonna let her hatch?

Ive got 2 of the broody queens going through their post-broody molt right now - Parakeet has no tail! :lau
View attachment 1125194 View attachment 1125194
We haven't a rooster so nothing will hatch. It's Oprah. I keep taking the eggs and putting golf balls under her. So far that's had about a 50% success rate as once she hopped on to the eggs I took from her and put in the box next door. (So we could just gather all at once and it was early yet) Been putting her on the roost manually at night. She still hops back on in the morning, and this morn she was on the golf balls so...
Should I try to break this behavior? We plan to culled her soonish anyway, so if she'll be less meaty maybe cull sooner rather than later? I really didn't expect a broody...lol

We haven't a rooster so nothing will hatch. It's Oprah. I keep taking the eggs and putting golf balls under her. So far that's had about a 50% success rate as once she hopped on to the eggs I took from her and put in the box next door. (So we could just gather all at once and it was early yet) Been putting her on the roost manually at night. She still hops back on in the morning, and this morn she was on the golf balls so...
Should I try to break this behavior? We plan to culled her soonish anyway, so if she'll be less meaty maybe cull sooner rather than later? I really didn't expect a broody...lol

If you're planning on eating her, break her and fatten her back up before she gets really skinny. I've got two girls that just finished being broody, and not only are they really underweight,they're molting horribly. :lol:

Back
Top Bottom