Funny sayings and turn-of-phrase....

Quote: Remember he died at the Alamo right after saying this an going to Texas. He never got the chance to "live" in Texas. When someone says it now they usually mean for you to do what you want cause they are going to do what they want even if it kills them.

Here is the actual whole quote though "I told the people of my district that I would serve them as faithfully as I had done; but if not ... you may all go to hell, and I will go to Texas."

So tight he could eat coal an poop diamonds..

"You may all go to hell, and I will go to Texas" -A quote from Congressman David Crockett

If he lived here now he'd probably choose hell instead.

Remember he died at the Alamo right after saying this an going to Texas. He never got the chance to "live" in Texas. When someone says it now they usually mean for you to do what you want cause they are going to do what they want even if it kills them.

Here is the actual whole quote though "I told the people of my district that I would serve them as faithfully as I had done; but if not ... you may all go to hell, and I will go to Texas." 

You many not know this, but until very lately, all Texas school children were taught Texas History in the 7th grade and thereafter. Being a native Texan, I took those classes. But I realize not all states do this, in fact as far as I'm aware, Texas was the only one that ever did, being that state was once a country in it's own right.

The history lesson is appreciated though for those that might not know what the quote means.

I was being tongue in cheek. :D

Last edited:
Not only were most of the people fighting the Mexicans for Texas' freedom from Tn originally but my own folks were from 'round Knoxville. Go Volunteer state! A well earned state nickname.

who let the cat out of the bag

directly related to "buying a pig in a poke" :)

people used to buy live piglets at the market and the seller would put them in a burlap sack to be carried home. Unscrupulous sellers would put a cat in the bag instead. "who let the cat out of the bag" means to let others in on a secret. "buying a pig in a poke" means to get ripped off

Here is a favorite of mine

person 1 "ughh! you're driving me crazy!"
person 2 "short trip, might as well walk...."

Back
Top Bottom