Funny story (:

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by TheRookie, Mar 9, 2012.

1. TheRookie

TheRookie Chillin' With My Peeps

Okay so I've been mainly posting on the chicken side because I recently got 17 baby chicks (first time chicken owner). So today while we were replacing the walls on our old shed turned coop... Guess who waddled up to see what on earth all the banging was about? Two ducks. I think they are mallards but I do know that there was a pair. Male and female. My neighbors had a duck house and left for Arizona, leaving several people friendly ducks free to come and go as they please. So they moved into a different neighbors pond and made themselves at home for the past several weeks. I'm not sure if they were looking for handouts or were just curious. Either way, we fed them a little bread (I've heard its not the best thing for ducks but it's all we had on such short notice). The female ate from my hand but the male was a bit more cautious. My pics aren't great cause it was getting dark and I didn't want to scare them with the flash.

[​IMG]

2. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    Your neighbour just took off and left their ducks behind?? That is just so irresponsible. I would be amazed if they were all still alive. They need protection from predators. Im sure they appreciated the free feed if no-one is looking after them anymore. I feel so sad for them. I can see white rings on their necks- so think they would be a cross breed- that would also mean they are heavier than a normal mallard and may not be able to fly well if they are threatened by a predator.

3. CelticOaksFarm

CelticOaksFarm Family owned, family run

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    Those poor ducks, heavy breed domestic, can't fly and have no food being given to them any more. Very irresponsible of the owners to leave them behind.

4. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Hi I am in NC too, why not give those 2 a good home before something makes breakfast, lunch or dinner out of them, they are beautiful.

5. jak2002003

jak2002003 Overrun With Chickens

Oct 24, 2009
    Thailand
    Wow, what beautiful coloured ducks! That male one is lovely colours, and the female is cute with the white ring around her neck.

They are not mallards! They are domestic ducks of some kind, I think they are cross breeds. You should keep them yourself!!!!!!! If you leave them they will get killed by a predator sooner or later! They won't need a big pond - just supply them with a large tub of water big enough for them to have a swim and bath in.

I never understand people who just move away and leave their animals. Some humans are very selfish!

6. DUCKGIRL89

DUCKGIRL89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    TN
    The drake looks.like a welsh harlequin. Hen looks like a khaki campbell crossed with somthing. Very cute!

I would put them on craigslist. Or keep them your self lol. Seems not very kinda to just dump and run on em. The poor duckies!

7. IsbelAcresTN

IsbelAcresTN Out Of The Brooder

Mar 2, 2012
    They are so cute! Sooo lucky to be alive considering your neighbors! I always say we could never move, we have over 200 birds and they are ALL family to us. Please either give them a home or find them a home, lots of people would be super happy to have them [​IMG]

8. Dwen

Dwen Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2012
    Concord, NC
    We had to leave our ducks behind when we moved. [​IMG] They would've had to leave their 1/3 acre pond for a 2 acre wooded yard. We didn't keep them in a duck house, just fed them cracked corn sometimes, and left the pond air-rated during the winter so it didn't ice over.

9. CelticOaksFarm

CelticOaksFarm Family owned, family run

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    Corn alone is a not a healthy diet for ducks, it loads on extra fat that they do not need. They can eat flock raiser, a d chicken pellets. Mazuri makes a waterfowl feed too. All would be better than no food and left alone.

10. IsbelAcresTN

IsbelAcresTN Out Of The Brooder

Mar 2, 2012
    So many people seem to have a misconception that just because it is an animal, it doesnt need much. These are DOMESTICATED breeds of poultry for a reason. Yes, they can forage for food WHEN it is available. To be healthy, they need a balanced diet. They need shelter too.
    I always tell people who are buying my birds... if you NEED it, so do they. If you cannot PROVIDE it, do not take them home.
    The basic requirements for living things are food, water and shelter. Ducks are living things, they need all of this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by