Funny/weird hen behavior: foot stomping! What's up with that?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by SeaChick, Jan 22, 2008.

1. SeaChick

SeaChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2007
    Southern Maine
    The lead hen did something funny yesterday : she puffed herself up all huge in front of a hen who'd been re-introduced behind wire.... and then sort of stomped her feet rocking back and forth. Stomp, stomp, stomp..... it looked to be a display of superiority but I never saw it before. Usually I see (from the second-in-command hen who is kinda aggressive) neck pecking and jumping as a way to show dominance.

Anyone seen this?

2. Lunachick

Lunachick Chicken Slave

Mar 19, 2007
    Brick, NJ
    I've seen the stomping thing. I noticed it when I approached one and they didn't expect me and were startled - she squated and stomped with both feet (I think she thought I was the roo!) I haven't seen her do it since. [​IMG]

3. CarriBrown

CarriBrown Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

My roo, Hotwing, does that to our baby roo. [​IMG] I guess he sees Drumstick as a thread, and your hen sees the other as a threat. By any chance, is that hen lowest on the pecking order? I've noticed that the lower ones are more threatned by the new birds.

4. SeaChick

Apr 25, 2007
    Southern Maine
    Thanks guys, nope, Carri, the stomper is actually the HIGHEST on the pecking order..... Rather than pecking the littler gir's head liek the others do to show domination, she fluffed and stomped. Weird!

5. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

I had a rooster named stompy, you would always know he was in his hutch because you'd hear "stomp, stomp, stomp" on the roost as you got near. No idea why he did it though.

6. Buff Hooligans

Buff Hooligans Scrambled

Jun 11, 2007
    My girls do a stomp from side to side when they do the Squat. Some more stridently than others. But I've never seen any do it without the squat...

7. SeaChick

Apr 25, 2007
    Southern Maine
    BH: That's interesting, This girl is a big BO. Maybe its a breed thing? (But it didn'y have ANYTHING to do with the squat... this was very onviously a show of dominance...)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by