Future breeding rooster

Rose Quartz

Enabler
6 Years
Mar 18, 2018
East Hants N.S. Canada
To start things off I can't say my barred rocks are anything special. They're all from backyard breeders so far as I know, and what offspring I've hatched myself.

My highest goal is for non-aggressive roosters.

However I'd also like to breed my birds toward the SOP. Even if I don't end up with show birds, I'd like to get the nicest I can from what I've got.

I'm trying to become a chicken breeder, selling Barred rock chicks only.

Now, all things being equal personality wise, I'm trying to decide based solely on feathers which young roo I might want to keep for future generations.

I have 3 that I like the look of.

This picture has 2 of those 3 boys, on either side of the hen. They are currently 15 weeks.

What I'm wondering is, feather coloration wise which one would be better, the one on the left which looks very close to the females coloring and has barring that seems to line up just right. Or the boy on the right who has an easily identifiable lighter color?

Other factors the boy on the left has a comb that's slightly off from center but has 5 or 6 points.

The boy on the right has a comb with about 10 points.

The third boy, looks just like the boy on the right, but with a 5 point comb that is straight.

20210829_181913.jpg

A second question is, should I be handling my roosters enough that they don't shy away from humans, if they were to be taken to a poultry show? Mind you this won't matter right now, since it'll be a while before I even consider doing that.

The one on the left has very nice barring. Mind you I’d also breed for type. I believe they are supposed to be 9 1/2 pounds in cock birds? Which is quite massive. I’ll check my Standard for cockerel weight. One thing about Rocks is that their back line is supposed to be almost horizontal, with only a slight slope to the tail.

The one on the left has very nice barring. Mind you I’d also breed for type. I believe they are supposed to be 9 1/2 pounds in cock birds? Which is quite massive. I’ll check my Standard for cockerel weight. One thing about Rocks is that their back line is supposed to be almost horizontal, with only a slight slope to the tail.
I'll have to weigh their dad, I don't keep track of weight at the moment.

These boys tails are too short at the moment to do anything but be inline with their body so I'll need to wait and see.

Good to know, thanks Amer.

Back
Top Bottom