fuzzi's Chicken Journal

Pics
I really wish I had bantams to provide you with.

It's smart to not get the birds before the coop though.

Try some of the farm stores other than TSC -- they might get a better variety.
Thank you. I like your chickens, but really wanted to go back to bantams.

So far I can't find any store besides TSC that will be selling chicks, at least none are advertising as such.

We have an Agri Supply in town, but no mention of live chicks on their website.

ETA: I've even checked out "local breeders" using FB and the internet. The only bantams being sold are Silkies, or the hatchery is three or more hours' drive away.

Thank you. I like your chickens, but really wanted to go back to bantams.

So far I can't find any store besides TSC that will be selling chicks, at least none are advertising as such.

We have an Agri Supply in town, but no mention of live chicks on their website.

ETA: I've even checked out "local breeders" using FB and the internet. The only bantams being sold are Silkies, or the hatchery is three or more hours' drive away.

There will probably be more chicks available as we get more toward Easter.

I've often seen "assorted bantams" at different farm stores.

Just got an email response from a hatchery I'd queried, about an hour's drive away. They have bantam Sussex eggs, a 6 week old cockerel, and three SR 3 week olds.

I'm still not going to bring home anything until I'm ready.

However, I'll see what I can do with the coop this afternoon before it gets dark...I would hate to lose an opportunity if one arose.

It was 70°F today, sunny, but I was stuck at the office. :caf

But when I got home I asked my dh for his help.

Annd...we got the HWC laid on top of the hoop coop and cut, all before dark!!!
:celebrate :ya:wee

IMG_20230209_174828109.jpg

The last piece wasn't quite long enough to cover the hoop, so I'll have to attach it to the other leftover piece. I don't anticipate any major issues with that.

I can make adjustments on the next non-rainy day, and then start attaching it to the frame.

IMG_20230209_174810702.jpg

:D:D:D

The rain held off all day, so I made the most of the mild weather, and worked on the hoop coop!

I found out something..my hands are not strong enough to attach wire. Even with needlenose pliers I could not twist wire around the hardware cloth tight enough to hold it to the coop frame.

So I used zip-ties to secure the hardware cloth to the coop frame and to other pieces of hardware cloth.
IMG_20230210_105928831_HDR.jpg

Zippity-do-dah! :lol:

I'd like to eventually go back over today's work with something stronger, maybe hog clips/rings? 🤔

I secured the hardware cloth to the wood frame with fender washers and wood screws until I ran out of wood screws.
IMG_20230210_170121140.jpg

Screws and more fender washers and more zip-ties are on my Saturday morning errands list. It's supposed to rain tomorrow but maybe it will hold off until later so I can start attaching the next piece of hardware cloth.
1000005150.jpg

Slow but steady...

Back
Top Bottom