fuzzi

She Who Brings Grapes
Premium Feather Member
Apr 5, 2022
Pitt County, NC
My Coop
My Coop
A planning and doing thread...

Once upon a time about 30 years ago I went to a flea market with a friend who was planning on purchasing some bantam chickens for her mini farm. She found a trio of hens plus a rooster, very fluffy...I think they were Silkies. I impulsively bought a trio of black rosecomb hens plus rooster. My children named them Eenie, Meenie, Miney, and Moe (the rooster). :cool: Miney went broody almost immediately, so we put her in an old fashioned wire chicken cage we'd been given, and so she sat on top of about a dozen eggs while the other chickens had the run of a yard we'd thrown together. Miney was the lucky one, as something killed the other three one night, and I learned about predators very quickly. I then created a chicken coop and run that kept my chickens safe for several years.

The chicks Miney brooded until shortly before hatching became the basis of years of fun with our little feathered friends, and now, for about three years, I've been mentally planning to have bantams again.

I've been there, done that, not technically a complete newbie, but I'm not 30 anymore, I have physical limitations plus my husband is disabled and will not be able to assist in anything but in a superficial way.

I'm creating this thread as a type of journal of my journey back, I hope, to having chickens again. Do feel free to chirp your insights and thoughts along the way. :jumpy:jumpy

We had a visitor while I was sitting with the chicks...
IMG_20231201_162618877~2.jpg

IMG_20231201_162710748~2.jpg

"Did you invite this, this...thing?"

IMG_20231201_162815828~2.jpg

She was just poking at Naomi.

The cat is one of a couple strays that I have been feeding. Once I get an appointment at the spay clinic I will set the trap.

IMG_20231201_141318898~2.jpg

Oh, and I got an egg!
IMG_20231201_164241126~2.jpg

Samuel is gone.

I was putting it off. I saw him go into the chicks' brooder, not after the food but towards the chicks.

Then just a few minutes ago I was standing outside the coop and heard the chicks frantic cheeps. I saw Samuel chasing the chicks around the coop, not just a short chase but a pursuit.

I took him out behind the shed and removed him from the equation.

Now I want to go cry somewhere.

Follow up:

The chicks are not hiding close to the Martha any more, but exploring, investigating all areas of the run. I was pleased to see how active they were, despite a drizzling cold day. The older chicks will be two weeks old tomorrow.

This evening before dark I brought a small amount of shredded cheese to the run. The hens milled about, excited about an expected treat. What surprised me was the chicks joining in, dashing in between the hens to snatch a crumb here and there.

Total change in behavior 24 hours post-rooster.
IMG_20240421_164919924~2.jpg

First things first...are chickens allowed where I live? Yes. I even hear a rooster some mornings, somewhere nearby, doesn't bother me.

Do I have a place to raise and nurture chickens? Yes, a partially fenced-in third acre lot, half of that a backyard next to a wooded lot that is home to numerous critters such as opossums, raccoons, deer, and foxes (we hear them bark sometimes). Security must be tight.

Do I have the time and energy to do poultry husbandry? I believe so. I'm still working full time, my only concern is when we go on vacation once a year. My chicken will cross that road later on.

Why do I want to raise chickens again? Mainly for fresh eggs, uncontaminated by antibiotics. I had to stop eating store-bought eggs as they made me sick, but the free range eggs that a coworker brought to me caused no issues. And also because I enjoy husbandry. Chickens' little personalities are entertaining as well.

So, the thinking has now progressed into more concrete designing and planning.

:pop:pop

We bought the cattle panels for the chicken coop/run project this morning, yippee! I decided to get an extra panel jic.

So...my dh (dear hubby) and I went to Agri Supply as they were both closer and cheaper. I went inside, paid for four panels, and was directed to the gate. When I drove through the gate and stopped an older man walked up to the truck. I said "Where do you want me to go? I bought the cattle panels." He asked me "How are you carrying them?" Um, I'm driving a Tundra. "In the back of this truck". He scowled, then he and a helper got into a golf cart and I followed them to the back of the property.

When we got to the stack of panels he told me to drive forward. I did. Then he told me to back up, so I got back in the truck and backed up until he waved.

I knew how I wanted them loaded, I'd gotten instructions from others here who bought cattle panels, but when I tried to tell him that I wanted them loaded curved part first he growled "We know how to do it"

Um, didn't you just ask me how I was getting them home?

They loaded them backwards. After they left dh and I pulled the panels off and reloaded them, secured with rubber straps and elastic tie downs.

They rode fine for the six mile drive home.

Mister Grouchy needs to be nicer, even to females. 😳😁😎

Attachments

• IMG_20230114_094142605_HDR~2.jpg
    IMG_20230114_094142605_HDR~2.jpg
    883.4 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_20230114_111859748_HDR~2.jpg
    IMG_20230114_111859748_HDR~2.jpg
    1,013.5 KB · Views: 25

Back
Top Bottom