fuzzi's Chicken Journal

Pics
We bought the cattle panels for the chicken coop/run project this morning, yippee! I decided to get an extra panel jic.

So...my dh (dear hubby) and I went to Agri Supply as they were both closer and cheaper. I went inside, paid for four panels, and was directed to the gate. When I drove through the gate and stopped an older man walked up to the truck. I said "Where do you want me to go? I bought the cattle panels." He asked me "How are you carrying them?" Um, I'm driving a Tundra. "In the back of this truck". He scowled, then he and a helper got into a golf cart and I followed them to the back of the property.

When we got to the stack of panels he told me to drive forward. I did. Then he told me to back up, so I got back in the truck and backed up until he waved.

I knew how I wanted them loaded, I'd gotten instructions from others here who bought cattle panels, but when I tried to tell him that I wanted them loaded curved part first he growled "We know how to do it"

Um, didn't you just ask me how I was getting them home?

They loaded them backwards. After they left dh and I pulled the panels off and reloaded them, secured with rubber straps and elastic tie downs.

They rode fine for the six mile drive home.

Mister Grouchy needs to be nicer, even to females. 😳😁😎

Attachments

• IMG_20230114_094142605_HDR~2.jpg
    IMG_20230114_094142605_HDR~2.jpg
    883.4 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_20230114_111859748_HDR~2.jpg
    IMG_20230114_111859748_HDR~2.jpg
    1,013.5 KB · Views: 25
We bought the cattle panels for the chicken coop/run project this morning, yippee! I decided to get an extra panel jic.

So...my dh (dear hubby) and I went to Agri Supply as they were both closer and cheaper. I went inside, paid for four panels, and was directed to the gate. When I drove through the gate and stopped an older man walked up to the truck. I said "Where do you want me to go? I bought the cattle panels." He asked me "How are you carrying them?" Um, I'm driving a Tundra. "In the back of this truck". He scowled, then he and a helper got into a golf cart and I followed them to the back of the property.

When we got to the stack of panels he told me to drive forward. I did. Then he told me to back up, so I got back in the truck and backed up until he waved.

I knew how I wanted them loaded, I'd gotten instructions from others here who bought cattle panels, but when I tried to tell him that I wanted them loaded curved part first he growled "We know how to do it"

Um, didn't you just ask me how I was getting them home?

They loaded them backwards. After they left dh and I pulled the panels off and reloaded them, secured with rubber straps and elastic tie downs.

They rode fine for the six mile drive home.

Mister Grouchy needs to be nicer, even to females. 😳😁😎
Wow, that was totally uncalled for! But I'm glad you got the panels. I'm totally jealous of you by the way - you have an actual truck!!!

You should see the looks I get at curbside pickup trying to load sheets of plywood and lumber into my minivan. (Hint - I have to close up all the seats in the back, and sometimes leave the kids at home so I can remove the middle row of seating.) I tell them I've done it before, and they insist on measuring before they will even try to load my purchase. 3D Tetrus is totally a thing.

Wow, that was totally uncalled for! But I'm glad you got the panels. I'm totally jealous of you by the way - you have an actual truck!!!

You should see the looks I get at curbside pickup trying to load sheets of plywood and lumber into my minivan. (Hint - I have to close up all the seats in the back, and sometimes leave the kids at home so I can remove the middle row of seating.) I tell them I've done it before, and they insist on measuring before they will even try to load my purchase. 3D Tetrus is totally a thing.
I've learned to ignore snide comments. Some people can't handle an assertive female. I'm not pushy unless the situation calls for it.

My dh doesn't drive anymore, was sitting in the passenger seat. Maybe Grouchy didn't understand the logistics of the situation, but he could have been nicer!

I wuz nice, wuz a gud gurl. 😁😁😁

I measured the area next to the shed where the coop is going, and realized I was not going to be able to add the fourth panel unless I moved my compost barrel and a good portion of the compost pile (grass clippings and leaves).

So a three panel hoop coop it will be! (for now)

Here are the three panels laid down, slightly overlapping. I started using the zip ties to attach the panels together and hold them in place:

IMG_20230119_141946567_HDR.jpg

Here's a close-up of the zip ties:

IMG_20230119_141304063_HDR.jpg

Next step was attaching 2x4s to the panels as a base. I had 8' and 4' lengths so I attached the 8' in the middle using 1" staples. I then cut the 4' lengths in half, attaching each 2' section to the ends. I will add a support board where the two pieces meet.

IMG_20230119_155813666_HDR.jpg

DH came outside to watch, so I had him help roll it into position.

IMG_20230119_161506544_HDR.jpg

It's 6' tall in the middle. Perfect.

As it was getting dark I decided to stop for the day. I was pleased to get this much done in a couple hours, mainly by myself.

Next time I will add the hardware cloth, at least that's the plan.

The wood I had is not pressure treated. I know what will happen if it's on the ground here.

I've seen other coops up on cement blocks, think it would be feasible for a hoop coop? I could even place it on 4" pavers.

OR...I could just go buy a couple 12' lengths of PT lumber and redo. Wouldn't be the first time. And the wood is not as terribly expensive as I'd imagined.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom