fuzzi's Chicken Journal

Pics
Saturday...the project continues...

I ran my errands this morning, bought extra zip-ties, but came home without fender washers...they're prohibitively expensive, 4 washers for $2.50? I try to buy local as much as I can, but I guess I'm going to have to go online. I checked, 100 fender washers for about $12 on Amazon. That'll do.

With assistance from my dh I attached the two leftover pieces of hardware cloth to make it long enough to cover the remainder of the coop. Of course I used zip-ties! :cool: ;) :D
IMG_20230211_143735516_HDR.jpg

Close up:
1000005181.jpg

And up onto the hoop it went!

Then came the tedious task of zip-tying each section of hardware cloth to the cattle panel structure and to each other, with about a 2" overlap over each adjacent section. When I got to the top of the structure I was able to feed the zip-ties through with the use of a tool I bought on a whim several years ago:
1000005186.jpg

1000005185.jpg

Once I finished attaching the hardware cloth with zip-ties I attached it to the 2x4 frame with screws and the remaining fender washers. I'll add more once my online order arrives.

I trimmed the ends off the zip-ties, finishing just as it was getting dark and COLD. Tomorrow it's supposed to rain all day, so the final side, the end with a DOOR, will have to wait until next weekend.
1000005184.jpg

Feels good!

@FunClucks @gtaus

Last edited:
Has it really been less than a month?
:hmm:th:eek:

Timeline
  • 1/14/23 - Purchased cattle panels
  • 1/21/23 - Purchased 2x4x16s, attached 4th cattle panel, attached panels to wood with 1 1/2" staples
  • 1/28/23 - Added 2x4s to ends, added braces (frame complete), created west end with pallet, 2x4s, hardware cloth (HWC)
  • 2/4/23 - Too cold, stayed inside, assembled waterer
  • 2/9/23 - Placed HWC over hoop (pm)
  • 2/10/23 - Attached end HWC to adjacent piece (zip-ties)
  • 2/11/23 - Attached remaining HWC to frame & each other
Just keep swimming, just keep swimming...

🐟🐟🐟

Thank you. I like your chickens, but really wanted to go back to bantams.

So far I can't find any store besides TSC that will be selling chicks, at least none are advertising as such.

We have an Agri Supply in town, but no mention of live chicks on their website.

ETA: I've even checked out "local breeders" using FB and the internet. The only bantams being sold are Silkies, or the hatchery is three or more hours' drive away.
We have a regional chain around here Family Farm and Home. Last week they were getting their bins ready for chicks.

While in the wire section I noticed that their chain comes in plastic buckets. I got permission to take two empty containers. They are 10"X10"x13" long, so they may do well as nesting boxes for my bantams!

1000004695.jpg
I've been keeping an eye out for square buckets to make more feeders/waterers. My street is all about dogs. Just 1 cat owner and they use bagged kitty litter.

Thank you!

It's only been about three weeks (weekends).

How do some people build it in a day or two?

Oh, wait...they KNOW WHAT THEY'RE DOING??!! :gig :gig:gig
It took me MONTHS to get my coop/run done. But, it was mostly done an hour or so at a time in the evenings. I'd spend more time pulling out tools/supplies and putting things away than I did building.

Speaking of swimming, my yard is awash from the drenching rain we're having today...there are puddles everywhere.

But NOT in the coop area!
:celebrate :celebrate :celebrate

:idunno:confused::barnie
ETA: I originally posted this on Sunday, not sure why it is on Wednesday now...?

Attachments

• IMG_20230212_130635216.jpg
    IMG_20230212_130635216.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 7
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom