fuzzi's Chicken Journal

Pics
Need to pick up chick food tonight, and make the MHP.

:ya:ya:ya:ya:ya:ya:ya:ya:ya:ya:ya
I know I'm overthinking it, but how much chick food should I buy?

I read this on a government agricultural site:

Chicks will double their weight four to five times in the first six weeks of life. This tremendous growth demands proper nutrition. A commercially prepared chick starter - or "crumble" - is the best way to provide a complete nutritional package at all times. In the first six weeks, feed consumption will be approximately 1 kg for each egg-producing chick and 4 kg for each meat-producing chick. The starter should contain a coccidiostat to stop intestinal damage caused by one of the common types of chicken parasites. (https://www.gov.mb.ca/agriculture/l...eeding-programs-for-small-chicken-flocks.html)

1 kg = 36 ounces, or just over 2 pounds of feed per chick in the first six weeks. Wow.

So if I have about a dozen chicks they will eat a 25lb bag of crumbles in their first 6 weeks.

Now I know how much to buy today... 💸💸💸

Last edited:
I know I'm overthinking it, but how much chick food should I buy?

I read this on a government agricultural site:

Chicks will double their weight four to five times in the first six weeks of life. This tremendous growth demands proper nutrition. A commercially prepared chick starter - or "crumble" - is the best way to provide a complete nutritional package at all times. In the first six weeks, feed consumption will be approximately 1 kg for each egg-producing chick and 4 kg for each meat-producing chick. The starter should contain a coccidiostat to stop intestinal damage caused by one of the common types of chicken parasites. (https://www.gov.mb.ca/agriculture/l...eeding-programs-for-small-chicken-flocks.html)

1 kg = 36 ounces, or just over 2 pounds of feed per chick in the first six weeks. Wow.

So if I have about a dozen chicks they will eat a 25lb bag of crumbles in their first 6 weeks.

Now I know how much to buy today... 💸💸💸

Chick feed at the store where I shop comes in 50lb bags so that's what I buy. :D

It does no harm to feed this to adult chickens so I feed them the chick feed until it runs out and then switch to the all-flock.

After I left work I stopped at Tractor Supply and bought a 50 lb bag of unmedicated chick feed (NatureWise Chick Starter Grower) AND a bottle of Corid, jic.

When I got home I found two mason jars to fit the chick feeder and waterer bases I bought weeks ago. They're soaking in the sink right now.

Then I ran an outdoor-rated extension cord to the coop from the house (outdoor outlet). And worked on getting it into the coop without cutting the HWC.

IMG_20230228_174049622.jpg

Snaking (excuse the term!) the cord under the apron and through a gap under the coop frame.

Then I added a scrap piece of HWC and some weight:
IMG_20230228_174437819.jpg

Inside I moved the firebricks enough to get the extension cord into the coop, then put everything back in place. I added a little piece of HWC but didn't attach it yet, just experimenting:
1000005701.jpg

The MHP needs to be in the brooder, so I did cut enough of the HWC on the back wall of the brooder to manoeuvre a plug through the outside:

1000005699.jpg

There's an overlap of HWC in that spot, so I can lay it back on top of the electric cord and secure it if I feel it's necessary.

Inside of brooder:
1000005698.jpg

By this time it was getting dark, so I took some tools and supplies inside with me. After I had a light supper I made my own MHP!

I used two scrap pieces of coated fencing attached to each other with electrical tape, and a 12"x24" heating pad (that is not supposed to have an auto shutoff) held on with small bungee cords.

1000005714.jpg

1000005712.jpg

Testing it right now.

Someone on BYC said they covered their MHP with a plastic trash bag and then a pillowcase. Anyone else use a plastic bag over the heating pad? I have 2 gallon zip bags and plastic grocery bags that I could use, just want to be safe.

The heating pad is on the low setting, and so far is only a little warmer than the back of my hand when I touch the heating pad surface. Warm enough?

Now I'm ready for bed 😴

Last edited:
After I left work I stopped at Tractor Supply and bought a 50 lb bag of unmedicated chick feed (NatureWise Chick Starter Grower) AND a bottle of Corid, jic.

When I got home I found two mason jars to fit the chick feeder and waterer bases I bought weeks ago. They're soaking in the sink right now.

Then I ran an outdoor-rated extension cord to the coop from the house (outdoor outlet). And worked on getting it into the coop without cutting the HWC.

View attachment 3418452

Snaking (excuse the term!) the cord under the apron and through a gap under the coop frame.

Then I added a scrap piece of HWC and some weight:
View attachment 3418453

Inside I moved the firebricks enough to get the extension cord into the coop, then put everything back in place. I added a little piece of HWC but didn't attach it yet, just experimenting:
View attachment 3418458
Keep in mind, over time grass will grow through the hardware cloth apron. It will be very difficult to pull up and get that extension cord out if you ever need to change it. It may be worth keeping it above ground and working through a seam in the cloths or cutting/patching a spot for it.

Keep in mind, over time grass will grow through the hardware cloth apron. It will be very difficult to pull up and get that extension cord out if you ever need to change it. It may be worth keeping it above ground and working through a seam in the cloths or cutting/patching a spot for it.
Good point, I hadn't thought about that. I think I will just remove the cord once I no longer need it for the chicks. I can add it again.

The HWC refuses to stay flat. Do you think the bricks and boards will be okay to use as weights until the weeds grow through?

Good point, I hadn't thought about that. I think I will just remove the cord once I no longer need it for the chicks. I can add it again.

The HWC refuses to stay flat. Do you think the bricks and boards will be okay to use as weights until the weeds grow through?

You could cover it with mulch -- pine straw, wood chips, etc. :)

Is it pinned down with landscape staples?

It doesn't have to be perfect. Bricks are good. As @3KillerBs points out, you want it landscape pinned down.

Back
Top Bottom