fuzzi's Chicken Journal

Ŵhen you cross a barred hen to a solid color rooster you get sex linked chicks. Pullets will be solid colored and cockerals will be barred.

I did this cross with a Black Copper Maran rooster and a Cream Legbar hen. (This cross also gave me green egg laying hens.) I knew the sex of all chicks at hatch.

Must be solid color roo and barred hen. Opposite does not work.

I do not know how the speckled pattern of your roos would act with your barred Dominiques. You could ask on one of the breeding genetics forums.

Or maybe @Wyorp Rock knows?

Sexing chicks at hatch can be of benefit to people who don't want or can't have roosters if you want to sell chicks.
Nope...I'm the worst person to ask about crosses, coloring, genetics, etc.
I have no clue😂

I think the speckled sussex colour is recessive so the speckles won't show up in first crosses.
I was wondering would Speckle Sussex rooster X Barred Rock Hen be a sex linked cross?

Meaning cockerals would hatch barred (with a head spot) and pullets hatch solid color (no head spot) ?

I cleaned out and filled the 5 gallon waterer after work today. I was going to do it this weekend before we head out on vacation, but now it's done.

For the first time I'm leaving my chicks with a "sitter", er, two sitters. My brother, and my adult son live with us, so they're handy. And they're already trained in cat and dog duties.

Only two eggs again...
IMG_20230926_170202035~2.jpg

(white egg is faux)

I was wondering would Speckle Sussex rooster X Barred Rock Hen be a sex linked cross?

Meaning cockerals would hatch barred (with a head spot) and pullets hatch solid color (no head spot) ?
Let me know if you get an answer.
Would appear so.
Screenshot (46).png

Back
Top Bottom