fuzzi's Chicken Journal

Hey! Is this a molt?
View attachment 3686692
View attachment 3686693
I noticed this afternoon that the head of one of my Dominiques looked lighter than usual. Her head looks like it's covered with small quills.

I picked her up to look closely. No sign of mites, scabs, anything abnormal.

She and the other Dominiques are only 7 months old.

For comparison, one of her sisters:
View attachment 3686699
Thoughts?

I did a search on "molt" but didn't see anything in the threads that was similar to what I am seeing here.

I don't think she's been laying, her comb hasn't gotten red like some others. I have seen some black and white feathers around the coop.

@Wyorp Rock

View attachment 3686703
Do you keep a light on them?

I don't have a game cam, but I do have a motion sensor light that probably spotlighted the critter, but they kept digging. Bold or stupid.
Looks like molting to me, could be just the head/a partial molt. Sometimes that can happen. I've had 9month old go through a molt before. If she's eating/drinking/active then I'd just keep an eye on her.

Bold or stupid with a motion sensor light - I'd say acclimated. I have motion lights along my fencing down the drive next to a small stream, the critters set the lights off all the time, they pay them no mind - the are used to it, actually it lights their way for them. Anyway, they light up good enough so I can at least see what's setting them off - oh, it's a Raccoon, Bunny, Cat, Stinky Possum...

Was just going to point out that we are entering the time of year they stop laying unless you leave a light on for them.
I don't think this one (I think it's Naomi) has ever had a thick red comb like the others, not sure she's been laying. They're 7 months old, early April hatch.

I was hoping they wouldn't molt the first year.

Looks like molting to me, could be just the head/a partial molt. Sometimes that can happen. I've had 9month old go through a molt before. If she's eating/drinking/active then I'd just keep an eye on her.
Interesting, thank you. I don't recall molting from my previous experience with chickens, but that was 30+ years ago.

They're all eating well, drinking well as far as I know (water level goes down).

Interesting, thank you. I don't recall molting from my previous experience with chickens, but that was 30+ years ago.

They're all eating well, drinking well as far as I know (water level goes down).
Is she one that tried to go broody?

I have 1 hen that went broody very late summer. I broke her quickly but she still did a partial molt. When she feather back in she started back laying.

Is she one that tried to go broody?

I have 1 hen that went broody very late summer. I broke her quickly but she still did a partial molt. When she feather back in she started back laying.
No. I had two go broody, but both were the Speckled Sussex, not the Dominiques. I broke them both.

Looking at photos from the last couple days it appears their combs aren't as red as before. Oh well.

I don't think this one (I think it's Naomi) has ever had a thick red comb like the others, not sure she's been laying. They're 7 months old, early April hatch.

I was hoping they wouldn't molt the first year.
Likely a bit of a late developer if she's not come into lay yet.

Your pullets that are in lay now *should* lay through winter and all of next year until about fall, BUT there's always a but...they don't always follow the norms.

Those that haven't come into lay yet, I'd still look for eggs soon, probably by Christmas.

Back
Top Bottom