Fuzzy, and His Crew

So none of the hens will sleep next to the leghorn. They keep trying to go into the bigger coops and the hens keep chasing both of the roosters out. But the leghorns hatch mates won’t sleep next to it anymore. Does that mean he’s the one I should get rid of? That he’s more aggressive

@Callender Girl @Isadora @Silkie Princess I need to decide by tomorrow night who I’m keeping. The other one is going to a friends farm with the silkie mix. But I’m so torn on who to get rid of. I love the look of the leghorn, and see him chasing the girls less, but feel like the girls don’t like him as much. As mentioned they won’t sit next to him and I’m afraid he gets cold in the coop. I actually caught him shivering in the run today. It was only in the low 20s too.

To be fair the girls don’t really like either of them. Neither mate very nicely and I noticed the brown one does chase the girls more. At least when I’m there. I’ve had to intercept the brown one at least twice because he was chasing after a hen. I don’t remember having to do that to the leghorn. Will the girls warm up to either of them? Should I get rid of the brown one because he chases the hens? I never thought this would be such a hard decision.

This is a tough one. This spring, when two of my Bantam chicks turned out to be roosters, I intended to keep both. But the one who was supposed to be a Cochin and turned out to be something else, was a little hellion. He chased the girls, me, and the other boy, who was clearly more subordinate.

Once Pauly was rehomed, the remaining Cochin boy, Billie, totally changed. He has moved up in status and now takes care of his girls, keeping them close and making sure they get treats before he eats.

Maybe the leghorn's behavior with the girls and theirs with him will change if you rehome the brown one? I don't have enough experience with multiple roosters to offer a solid opinion, just a possibility.

My only other rooster is permanently cooped with a couple of hens because he wanted to breed EVERYONE all the time and refused to come inside at night. He and Billie get into crowing contests, but neither has shown any aggression toward the other.

Let us know what you decide. Good luck deciding.

So I brought the brown one to the farm today. This farmer agreed to let me know if he is too aggressive or not. Pretty much to let me know how his temperament is over the coming weeks. This was a super difficult decision but the brown guy mated more aggressively than the leghorn, which could change, and I felt he was starting to give me the eye. You know… the “I’m going to get you when your back is turned” eye. I didn’t like it. Hopefully the leghorn will stay a gentleman and not turn into a jerk just because the brown one is gone. 🤞

I'm glad you were able to make a decision and that the farmer will let you know how the brown boy turns out. Let's hope your leghorn appreciates the opportunity you have given him to keep his happy home!

Best wishes for a happy future for your flock!

Back
Top Bottom