Fuzzy feathers-pictures added

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by redkan, Jun 22, 2010.

1. redkan

redkan Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2008
    Central Maine
    I have a chick that is about 2+ months old, well past the age that her "down" should have turned to feathers yet she is just a fuzzy bunny of a chick. None of her feathers are smooth or normal, instead all, including wing feathers are very ragged and uneven. I'm wondering if she has a disease or some sort of deficiency. Her full brother is very normal although extremely roo-ish looking for their young age. Any ideas? I know pictures would help & I'll try to get some later this morning.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And for what it's worth, her mother (white bantam in the foreground) & father.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 23, 2010
  2. buffbeauty

buffbeauty Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2010
    Central Arkansas
    What kind is she? Part silkie? Part frizzle? Perhaps?

3. redkan

May 15, 2008
    Central Maine
    Quote:No, she's a run-of-the-mill (although very sweet) bantam easter egger. I've edited the original post to add pictures if that helps.

4. redkan

May 15, 2008
    Central Maine
    I also checked her doh and she hatched out on 4/28 so just shy of 2 months old.

5. WA4-Hpoultrymom

WA4-Hpoultrymom Never enough coops...

Feb 5, 2009
    Monroe, WA
    My Coop
  6. redkan

May 15, 2008
    Central Maine
    Gosh, she sure is looking that way isn't she. She & her sibling are both promised to my SIL so what a surprise that would be.

7. usschicago1

usschicago1 Suburban Cochins

Aug 11, 2009
    Taunton, MA
    Yes she has a Gene that makes her feathers look like that [​IMG] Some of her offspring will too if you ever breed her.

8. redkan

May 15, 2008
    Central Maine
    Well this is interesting as her father is the only roo I've had for 4 years now and she's the 4th generation all sired (and grandsired, ggrandsired etc) by him. She's the first to look like this. [​IMG]

9. WA4-Hpoultrymom

WA4-Hpoultrymom Never enough coops...

Feb 5, 2009
    Monroe, WA
    My Coop
    What about her mother? Is she new in your breeding program?

Although it is quite rare. On the other thread, a group of folks worked to go back as far as they could in the lines and no one had hatched any out like hers that anybody was aware of. I would say you have a special bird there! Did you say you had 2? A sibling? If you are able to breed them together, their babies will look like that too!!!!

10. poultryhaven

poultryhaven Addicted to Seramas!

Jan 19, 2009
    Ocala, FL
    It looks like the mom has silkie in her [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by