FYI - Dog packs

A local man had horrible issues with dog packs killing calves here. Animal control has one officer. When people kept pushing for something to be done, the head of the county commission just said to shoot any stray dogs, that they didn't have enough manpower to do anything. We have a law that any animal off the owner's property must be controlled, but that's a joke when no one intends to enforce it. This is why it's best to handle the problem on your own. Packs of dogs are the worst. And many of the pack members have owners, but some of them are dumpees.

Gah! Stuff like that make me mad/sad at the same time :\\ I hope they catch the dogs and find the owners. I feel so sorry for the owner of the animals that got killed. Atleast he got some of the dogs.

A dog just got my RIR about 20 minutes ago....When into MY fenced in yard, dragged her out and was in the process of trying to eat her when I caught him...She's still alive...but barely
hit.gif
she has no skin on one of her legs and both wings are broken!!!!!

Quote:
This is most likely the source of the problem. While I don't doubt that it's sometimes domestic dogs out for a day of "fun" because they are owned by irresponsible people, the sad fact is that too many dogs are abandoned on country roads. These dogs have no choice but to pack up with whatever other dogs they can find, which tends to be a lot with this kind of irresponsible behavior going on. And normally docile family pets aren't the ones who are abandoned; it's dogs that had behavior problems at home because of a lack of training. The owners didn't want them to die in the pound so they just released them into the open and drove off.

My husband's grandfather has more acres than I can count in Southern Alabama on the Mississippi line, and I once accompanied him in rounding up some wild dogs that were threatening his farm and roaming on his acreage. He was lucky enough to catch them, and they did have collars on. We called the owner, who took two hours or so to get to us from Mississippi. He said that he hunts deer with a pack of "beagles" (they weren't beagles at all, just large mixes. He lets 30 or so dogs loose and runs them through the woods toward hunters who await on the other side of the forest. At the end of the hunt, he tries to round up all his dogs, but doesn't always find all of them. No crap, really? You let loose 30 dogs over 150 acres and you didn't get them all back? Especially after they ran into a bunch of guys firing off shotguns?

Anyway, I'm just acknowledging that the dog thing is a major problem and adding things that I know cause it. Sure, family pets will kill, but your big problems probably come from lots of dogs left out to fend for themselves. And no, they probably won't go after deer, because deer have the great outdoors to get away from them. It's easy pickins to get a farmer's fenced livestock who have nowhere to run. And domesticated/wild dogs don't have the fear of people that coyotes and wolves might.

right now she is sleeping in an unused brooder box. I will be checking on her later this evening when she is more relaxed...She was so mean she was going to be going into my freezer soon, but I couldn't stand the thought of eating her now. If I do have to make that awful decision, she will be placed with the rest of our pets who have crossed Rainbow Bridge.

I don't think it's going to get any better any time soon. With folks loosing their jobs, dogs will be dumped, kicked out and let loose to 'find' food. I've had to deal with feral dogs on refuges and it's really not any fun. I also deal with our 'wildlife' control folks who have had to pull feral dogs from ranches here. Nothing worse than four dogs loose who think a calf is 'fun'.

I live on a farm and we raise cattle and I agree totally with running dogs. I am not talking about the neighbors dog that gets out, goes up the road and gets a few chickens. I mean the pack dogs that run and run for miles. Simply stated...that doesnt happen here..at all.

My dog stays in my yard and in my house

My friend's uncle had a pack problem on his road. His dog went into heat so he locked her up in a horse trailer on his place and shot every male that came around. It drew them like flies to garbage. After that, the females were picked off until the problem was eliminated.

Back
Top Bottom