FYI: Slate.com article on chickens and urban farming

Thanks for posting Lydia.

The urban chicken movement really is an international movement...from San Francisco to New York and Vancouver to London...the backyard chicken is truly coming home to roost.

I thought it was an interesting article, but I'm sorry the author has an attitude about people who either keep their chickens as pets or raise them for eggs and don't eat them. I'll have to read it again because I might have read between lines that weren't there.
hmm.png

Quote:
Here in holland there have always been poultry as hobby/backyard pets... they are somewhat mystified here though when I post such things as diapers (for house chickens) ... they thought at first the sites I posted were an april fools joke (and were NOT amused!)

Quote:
See, now I didn't get any vibe like that at all. Funny how different people can read the same words and get diffenent feelings about it.
hu.gif
To me it was about her experiences and her choice to kill/eat her culled hens and that she has made peace about it. I found her to be very honest in her feelings regarding killing her hens. She did make mention that most poultry sites don't readily talk about the killing part of chicken keeping.

Perhaps this article is more of a rebuttal to those who think she is cruel or not civilized (or whatever) because of how she has chosen to cull. IDK...just my thoughts.
old.gif

Quote:
Glad to hear Holland is so open to BYC. Here in the States and Canada, most city people haven't been connected with where their food comes from. But they are now rapidly rediscovering the joys and rewards of keeping hens in the backyard.

We recently completed filming Mad City Chickens, a feature-length documentary on urban people who keep chickens in their backyards. It's currently being submitted to major film festivals...we'll have to check into what festivals are held in Holland.

Lol, agreed! There are certain times of the day, week, month, or whenever...where smart people just avoid my gereral area.
lau.gif
gig.gif
I hope that your in a better frame of mind. :aww

Back
Top Bottom