FYI to those with a still air incubator

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by georgialee, Mar 3, 2011.

1. georgialee

georgialee Songster

Apr 9, 2009
    Knoxville, TN
    I rigged a fan in my still air LG the other night. I had the incubator set up and to temp before I turned the fan on. Guess what the temp on after the fan was on??? 93.5!!! So that shows that the very bottom of the inbubator was at 90* or below and the top was at 100*.

If you can, put a fan in your still air. It is SUPER easy (trust me, if I can do it, anyone can). You will get a much more even temp and therefore a better hatch rate.

[​IMG]

2. sawmane1

sawmane1 Songster

Feb 22, 2011
    Mcminnville, Oregon
    my still air has worked 100% percent so far...On two chicks haha my feed store didnot have one do you know were i could get the fan?

3. perolane

perolane Songster

Jun 20, 2010
    Louisiana
    Quote:I saw LG fan kits on Ebay.

4. YardBirdHost

YardBirdHost In the Brooder

Dec 7, 2010
    Maryland
    Quote:I made my own using a small computer cooling fan I purchased on Ebay for $4.99 including shipping, an old 12v power adapter, and some small bolts, spacers, and nuts.

My LG has been running at 100 degrees and 43% +/- for 24 hours.

5. Willowsong69

Willowsong69 Chirping

Nov 8, 2010
    New Hampshire
    I've had a decent hatch without the fan. I also bump the temp up to 102 in the LG still air. My hatch rates are good, even on shipped eggs.

6. aprophet

aprophet Songster

Jan 12, 2010
    chesapeake Va.
    I put a fan in my HB during incubation I run the fan when in lock down I unplug the turner and the fan no proof it just seems like I do not have as many shrink wrapped

7. latebloomer

latebloomer Songster

Feb 10, 2011
    green mountain state
    i added a fan to my hovabator 1602n
    from incubator warehouse
    on day seven
    it was easy and fast
    i'm hoping for positive results

8. georgialee

georgialee Songster

Apr 9, 2009
    Knoxville, TN
    I'm not saying it won't work - I had a good hatch out of shipped eggs last year in my still air. I just couldn't believe the temp difference and wanted to share. [​IMG]

9. Luvducks

Luvducks Songster

Apr 8, 2009
    Colorado
    Quote:Thanks for telling us. I have a still air and put it away when I received a little Brinsea Eco 20. But I am going to get the LG out and use them both. Does anyone have a picture of their LG with a fan they put in themselves? Please.

10. SteveH

SteveH Songster

Nov 10, 2009
    West/Central IL
    I put a fan in my 1602n and didn't like the way it performed; it went from slow, 1 degree cycles to rapid [ 1 minute], 3.5 degree cycles at the middle of the egg level.. It was giving me great hatches as a still air, so I switched it back without trying to hatch with the fan conversion. I figured why fix what ain't broke?
    I use an Acurite, indoor/outdoor, digital thermometer with the probe lowered through one of the plugged vents to the middle of the egg level; and I hatch in egg cartons which pretty much keep the eggs at the same level as in the auto turner.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: