Gabbard Farms - Blue Andalusians

I have 4 birds that hatched out from my Gabbard Farm eggs, 4 dozen of them. I was not happy with the packaging at all, and of all the eggs I have ever bought, they sent the only cracked eggs I have ever received. They do send 12 for the price of 10, so no complaints on the cracked eggs. The hatch was poor, with unthrifty chicks and I do have the 4 grown Blue copper Marans/splash marans. They are small, by half of my other BCM's and one has no tail at all. These are in the egg layers pen, NOT a breeding pen. I only ordered Marans, so have no idea what the other breeds look like. I hope you have better luck with your chicks. HenZ

I ordered 24 eggs and only had 2 develop. I of the 2 hatched but died 10 days later. The other never hatched and the rest never developed. I received 2 cracked eggs in my order so threw them away immediately and just put 22 in the 'bator. Julie was very understanding and refunded all my money.

Quote:
im curious... did you send her pictures to prove that the eggs didnt develop? .. i got 2 dozen eggs or so from her... 20 were very porous and clear after 10 days... only one hatched... she didnt do a darn thing for me.. said i should have taken pictures to prove it so she could see and send me more... i said why would i want more clear eggs from you... thats one place i'll never order from again...

she said this "When ordering shipped eggs, you must always be prepared for poor hatches from time to time...... It helps to lessen disappointment when it doesn't turn out like you had hoped" ...

im very understanding about shipped eggs... but im also very aware that porous eggs rarely develop... its nice that she thinks people should EXPECT bad hatches from shipped eggs... especially with the amount of eggs she ships through ebay auctions

We certainly DO understand the risks of shipped eggs but when the ratio of unfertilized eggs goes higher it kinda makes you wonder? I didn't have too bad of a hatch but probably only two chicks or three if I can remember at all from her (may have to read my old posts).

Now I bought her beautiful rooster, and even with an unrelated Spitz hen to go with him, the eggs were infertile or if we are lucky to get maybe two to three chicks out of a doz. Am I disappointed? Yes I am but he is a beautiful yard ornament and good roo with his girls but his bullets are near empty or infertile. He was a young roo as well (now a couple years old). So I am going elsewhere for my Spitzhaubens.

How many people on Ebay got bad hatches? Well you could not give negative feedbacks because I think there is specifics, only to give feedbacks to how she ships, how fast and how well she packed her eggs, NOT on fertility issues or the right breed of chicks. I have not heard any say about the question of breeding backgrounds on her birds.

It's a pity but like I said, it is buyer's beware AND it is up the buyer's do their homework and shop around.

well, as an update; I ordered 20, got 24. Two were rotten from the get go. 10 developed to full term 6 pipped, and 4 hatched at exactly 21 days. 2 blues, 2 splash. They are more for my free-ranging flock anyway. I am getting SQ Andalusians and White-faced black spanish from Butch Gunderson in the spring to add to the breeder pens. The 4 that hatched are VERY active, alert, and growing like crazy. I didn't have any cracked during shipment, however, all but about 2 had detached air cells. I don't know if it is common practice to ship with the eggs on their sides, but I am sure this will contribute, along with the postal folks. Packing was not how I would have done it for sure. Shipping was fast and she was nice. She doesn't advertise show birds, so I didn't expect any. All in all, I do feel that fertility should have been better regardless of the distance. The chicks in my avatar are these Andalusian chicks. Too early to tell how they will turn out. They are just under a month old now.

Quote:
im curious... did you send her pictures to prove that the eggs didnt develop? .. i got 2 dozen eggs or so from her... 20 were very porous and clear after 10 days... only one hatched... she didnt do a darn thing for me.. said i should have taken pictures to prove it so she could see and send me more... i said why would i want more clear eggs from you... thats one place i'll never order from again...

she said this "When ordering shipped eggs, you must always be prepared for poor hatches from time to time...... It helps to lessen disappointment when it doesn't turn out like you had hoped" ...

im very understanding about shipped eggs... but im also very aware that porous eggs rarely develop... its nice that she thinks people should EXPECT bad hatches from shipped eggs... especially with the amount of eggs she ships through ebay auctions

I did not take pics. I simply told her when I received the eggs that 2 were cracked during shipping and 1 was cover in hard yolk type stuff. I bought them from her through Ebay and she has 100% feedback so I don't think she wanted it tarnished. I found her very reasonable to work with. I have just ordered 12 BO eggs from okie hen here on BYC. I now have 12 little fuzz butts running around. I think I will just order from folks on here from now on. (Although Julie Gabbard is on here as THE FARMERS WIFE). I just think I found better quality elsewhere.

Quote:
Butch has some of the best Andalusians in the country. He's an APA Judge & is VP of the APA so he's been around exhibition poultry for some time. I had Andalusians from Buth several years ago & they were excallent.

Back
Top Bottom