Gaggle of Geese Lovers

Glad you asked -- I surprised myself when I looked it up. It's been four years since I got Gussie and Golly as the last two goslings at the local farm store.

I had wanted the Egyptians they had when I was in the store on a Friday. When I returned on Monday, only two babies were left -- a couple of American Buffs. I could not be happier with how things turned out. I love my troublemakers!

Can confirm, it’s very hard to hide from a goose, mine must have x-ray vision. 🤣
Just have to wait until they are distracted elsewhere. lol I've discovered that's the best way to check nests. I turn them out to graze and then do chores until I see them meander off and then I nonchalantly head towards the barn and play dumb if I get caught.
Today one of my girls “Delphi” had to be supervised by me to keep her safe while she was out grazing, she was all ALONE because her two Gander protectors were to busy parading up and down the driveway showing off to each other and ignoring her. 😆
Ganders. This perfectly describes my feelings...
LOTR - Gandalf - Hobbits.gif

Last year I had two Grey Saddleback Pomeranians with one hen and I would have to go out and guard her so she could lay her eggs when I got home from work. She got to where she'd wait for me because they ignored her and any time she got on the nest my irritating little Khaki Campbell would climb on her, pulling out all her head feathers trying to breed her while they just stood there. He tried that once with one of the girls this year and Golly showed him who the real boss is.
Ive had my geese since 2011 as babies my big boy and my swttie pie. How old is everyone elses geese?
Golly and Georgia are four. Bea and Beatrice are two. Not sure on the Poms. The Blues and the extra Buff hen are last spring's goslings.

My apologies Gizmo! and here are some other random names ideas floating around in my head; Madeline, Brooke, and Gizmo ... LOL
No problem. Yeah, I’ll definitely consider those names. Although, Gizmo is my dogs name, so I’ll probably substitute that for Ginger or something similar to that.

Ive had my geese since 2011 as babies my big boy and my swttie pie. How old is everyone elses geese?

Leo (Gander) will be 12 years old this summer

Parsnip (Gander)- will be 10 years old this summer

Darby (Gander) Strawberry (Gander) Friday (Girl) will be 8 years old this summer

Apricot (Girl) Delphi (Girl) are now 3 years old

Tuesday (Girl) Dandelion (Girl) Roxbury (Gander) Helios (Gander) will be 2 year olds this summer

What kind of nesting containment do people offer to free-ranging geese? I have given mine some 55 gallon drums on their sides, and I've been told that's a bad idea? is it? why?
My geese have my old duck house that I remodeled for them after my ducks got a new house... I once tried using a 55 gal drum in my duck pen for an extra hideaway spot from hawks, but it gets hot inside (unless you have shade for it) and I guess it can roll maybe? anyway my ducks hated it . Have not tried with the geese tho

What kind of nesting containment do people offer to free-ranging geese? I have given mine some 55 gallon drums on their sides, and I've been told that's a bad idea? is it? why?
I built mine out of wooden drawers that I took from a customers bathroom job, they work great for both ducks and geese. I will have to take a couple of pics showing the size of it. As for using barrels, I think my geese would probably feel too closed in and it may get too hot/stuffy in there. I could definitely see mine laying on the ground rather than the barrel.

Back
Top Bottom