Gaggle of Geese Lovers

Pics
My almost one year old goose Piper started laying! :celebrate
20220321_085900.jpg

Middle and left egg are hers and the one on the right is from my 6-year-old goose.
The far left was her very first and is noticeably smaller but her second egg is pretty close in size to the 6-year-olds.

I’m always afraid if I leave the eggs for them to hatch themselves, that they may not try and the eggs will freeze, but if they show interest in setting it might be better for them to naturally hatch.

I just collect my eggs when they’re freshly laid around 7am and all of mine have gone in the incubators, but now the incubators are all full, so I think I’ll try giving my geese a clutch of eggs all at once and see if they go broody.
Mine do a way better job setting than I do, provided they aren't all piling into the same nest. Which is an issue now. Georgia is 100% broody. Was out there yesterday watching them, discreetly of course, and Georgia was on the nest. She covered the eggs up and ran to get some fresh water and a quick splish splash. The second she vacated the nest, all the other hens came running in the barn and queued up like it was a car wash. Georgia went back in the barn and alternated between standing on the hen's back that was laying or obnoxiously covering them with hay until they were done. She snuck off again for a graze late in the evening. I didn't candle but grabbed all the eggs that were bright white (assuming they were laid today) and popped them in the incubator. She's got nine. I suppose I'll stop pulling the Pom's eggs. I'm hoping that a family might help them be less...obnoxious.
Middle and left egg are hers and the one on the right is from my 6-year-old goose.
The far left was her very first and is noticeably smaller but her second egg is pretty close in size to the 6-year-olds.
Georgia's eggs are so big they can't go in the sportsman if they aren't dead center and in the top rack. It tilts to such a degree it cracks them across the air cells. I gave the ones in the incubator yesterday a quick look and they all looked good. Everything crossed a do a better job with them this year than last year. No more babies stuck in amber.
1647874365289.png

Mine do a way better job setting than I do, provided they aren't all piling into the same nest. Which is an issue now. Georgia is 100% broody. Was out there yesterday watching them, discreetly of course, and Georgia was on the nest. She covered the eggs up and ran to get some fresh water and a quick splish splash. The second she vacated the nest, all the other hens came running in the barn and queued up like it was a car wash. Georgia went back in the barn and alternated between standing on the hen's back that was laying or obnoxiously covering them with hay until they were done. She snuck off again for a graze late in the evening. I didn't candle but grabbed all the eggs that were bright white (assuming they were laid today) and popped them in the incubator. She's got nine. I suppose I'll stop pulling the Pom's eggs. I'm hoping that a family might help them be less...obnoxious.
Are your females fairly old? Because, mine are only a year old and I’m thinking that might be a reason why they are not broody.

Are your females fairly old? Because, mine are only a year old and I’m thinking that might be a reason why they are not broody.
Nope. Georgia is four. Beatrice is two and went broody with her mom her first spring. This is the Blue and the extra Buffs first spring so we'll see about them. I'm hoping the Pom does. She's never acted broody before. I'm thinking about giving her Georgia's big eggs that won't fit in the bator to help her along.

Nope. Georgia is four. Beatrice is two and went broody with her mom her first spring. This is the Blue and the extra Buffs first spring so we'll see about them. I'm hoping the Pom does. She's never acted broody before. I'm thinking about giving her Georgia's big eggs that won't fit in the bator to help her along.
Good idea. I’m surprised mine haven’t gone broody yet… I really don’t know if they will go broody this season at all.

Back
Top Bottom