Gaggle of Geese Lovers

Pics
View attachment 3038185
4 more days till hopeful hatch day! Egg turner was taken out last night and the second water chamber was filled. I’m holding 75% humidity, so I hope all goes well.
good job just know geese do things in there own time. mine internally pip on usually day 29 or 30 then take 2 days to finish the job. So get out the popcorn and cant wait to see the end of the show.

I'm starting to collect for incubation but we're eating the dirty ones.
View attachment 3038171
I have never been brave enough to eat one! I always try to get them all to hatch, dirty or not.

Mrs. Georgia is doing a great job with her eggs. I'm trying to get one of the Blue hens and the Pomeranian hen to go broody. All the eggs but two in the incubator look good. I've been misting and cooling, so hopefully, that makes a difference. Last year was awful!

I have never been brave enough to eat one! I always try to get them all to hatch, dirty or not.

Mrs. Georgia is doing a great job with her eggs. I'm trying to get one of the Blue hens and the Pomeranian hen to go broody. All the eggs but two in the incubator look good. I've been misting and cooling, so hopefully, that makes a difference. Last year was awful!
I feel the same way about eating goose eggs, but I did eat one when it was chipped in the nest. It was basically just like eating a big duck egg.

What happened with your hatching last year?

What happened with your hatching last year?
I only managed to hatch three goslings out of all the eggs I set. They had tons of trouble hatching. They were covered in this amber-colored goop that hardened like concrete and would literally cement them to whatever they landed on after they hatched. I was peeling them off of the bottom of the hatcher and giving them baths and scrubbing it all off with a toothbrush. I also tried several batches of shipped eggs that would develop and not hatch at all. And even the broody hens did a bad job last year. Out of a lot of eggs, they only managed to hatch two themselves.

I only managed to hatch three goslings out of all the eggs I set. They had tons of trouble hatching. They were covered in this amber-colored goop that hardened like concrete and would literally cement them to whatever they landed on after they hatched. I was peeling them off of the bottom of the hatcher and giving them baths and scrubbing it all off with a toothbrush. I also tried several batches of shipped eggs that would develop and not hatch at all. And even the broody hens did a bad job last year. Out of a lot of eggs, they only managed to hatch two themselves.
Sounds like a pretty tuff hatching year…. I hope this year goes better!

I’ve done ducks several years now without really any issues, but these geese are new to me. I’m really hoping for a good experience.

Sounds like a pretty tuff hatching year…. I hope this year goes better!

I’ve done ducks several years now without really any issues, but these geese are new to me. I’m really hoping for a good experience.
I had no issues with the ducks. But the geese were awful.

What was your humidity like? It sounds like that stuff might have been a low humidity issue
I've actually been told by some experienced breeders that it was too high. There wasn't enough water loss in the incubation process so they had the goo on them. Apparently taking them out and cooling/misting them helps draw moisture out of the egg and they are supposed to hatch better. If it doesn't work this year, I give up and they can just do it themselves.

I've actually been told by some experienced breeders that it was too high. There wasn't enough water loss in the incubation process so they had the goo on them. Apparently taking them out and cooling/misting them helps draw moisture out of the egg and they are supposed to hatch better. If it doesn't work this year, I give up and they can just do it themselves.
Good info, I haven’t followed that idea, so I’m hoping they hatch without issues.

Back
Top Bottom